USB expanders, should I use them?

Default USB expanders, should I use them?

So I'm new to this, have a pioneer ddj-sb and a midi fighter twister. I alternate between using my Desktop and my laptop. I keep all my music stored in an USB flash drive so i can move it from one computer to another and so my current problem is, this is fine with my laptop as it has 4 usb ports but my desktop has only 2 in the front. Would it be fine to use a USB expander? I would not run both controllers through the expander, it would be Midi (5v 250mA) + flashdrive on expander and ddj-sb (5v 500mA) on the other port.

Would this be a good setup?

Tech Wizard

Do you mean USB hub? You should be fine. If you run into problems, you can get powered USB hub (one that has its own power supply), so all your devices can get maximum power from the USB.
    CMD MM-1 - CMD PL-1 - Traktor Kontrol X1 Mk2 - Traktor Kontrol F1 - NI Komplete Audio 6/Traktor Audio 2 Mk2
    My setup history
    Mixcloud page

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ozei View Post
    Do you mean USB hub? You should be fine. If you run into problems, you can get powered USB hub (one that has its own power supply), so all your devices can get maximum power from the USB.
    This, just get a powered usb hub, Ive just recently bought a Belkin 7port one and it works fine with an S4, X1, F1, MF3D, and external harddrive attached

Not sure what a "USB expander' is, but you possibly mean a USB Hub.

If you're looking for something to pug more usb devices in to, get a powered USB Hub.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

use a powered hub for all MIDI/HID controllers without an audio interface but you should always connect your sound card (in this case your S4) directly to a USB port on your computer to minimize audio latency.