Rekordbox 'media is missing'

Default Rekordbox 'media is missing'

My rekordbox is an absolute mess and I have no idea why. Any time I try and create a new playlist more than 50% of the time I get the msg: 'media is missing'. I have tried all possible usbs I loaded the tracks on from, tried in every possible combination of usb outlets and still nothing.

I have always gotten round this by playing some planned sequences and then just saving the history.

However, I'm playing in a club tomorrow and the 'link' function on the CDJ's does not work. This has meant I will have to have 2 usb's. It is however, proving impossible to load everything onto a new usb as so many of the files are missing. I have folders with up to 90% of the tracks not registering as 'media is missing'.

I'm cracking up here. Any advice?

Tech Mentor

you most likely moved the files on your computer.

do you use itunes? if so, go into the Bridge tab in Rekordbox and import your songs & playlists from there.

I would suggest turning on the option inside iTunes to "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library"

This will ensure that no matter where you move the original files on your computer, or if you even delete the originals, a copy will exist inside your itunes media folder, and since you are using Bridge to import the files to Rekordbox, you will never have that missing media again.

If I'm wrong with all this, and the rekordbox program is fine, but it's just the files on the actual USB. Reformat the USB and start exporting your files again. Often times I've seen people with errors where they have gone into the USB and added or moved files around. It's important to not use your USB sticks that you intend to DJ with for anything but Rekordbox. As you run the risk of corrupting the file library.

also, one other quick note. I HIGHLY suggest all DJ's bring two USB sticks or SD Cards. The Link functionality is great, but in the club I work at, our CDJ link ports are coming loose after 5 years of unplugging and plugging cables in (have sent 2 off for repair already) and sometimes the link will randomly drop if the cable is moved ever so slightly. Which leads to the song cutting off immediately. You can easily avoid this by just bringing 2 USB sticks and using each as you would with CD's in the olden days. The Link functionality is only useful for the red "On Air" status and Quantize effects when linked into the DJM900 as well. Or I suppose when using the Sync on the new Nexus players
    Last edited by dsquareddan; 06-05-2014 at 01:59 AM.

I have itunes on the laptop I upload from. However this is my wifes itunes library (I use a seperate laptop for mine).

The USBs I use to load the tracks onto rekordbox are used exclusively for this. There are no other files on these usbs. I generally download a track onto my usb and then upload onto rekordbox. The majority of my tracks are not saved on any computer.

To try and resolve the issue I reuploaded the tracks onto rekordbox, that were still on one of these usbs. I then attempted to reimport onto a brand new (empty) usb stick. This did not work either.

My itunes library is on a seperate laptop and has the majority of same tracks that I have on rekordbox. I would however assume that since it is on a seperate laptop, I would not be able to use this bridge function you mention.

Is it possible to transfer my exisiting rekordbox library to a different laptop and connect with my itunes library this way?

Things just got worse. I lost the USB with the majority of my saved playlists and tracks. Am I completely screwed now?

Tech Mentor

with the new rekordbox 3 you can import apparently, i have not tested it tho.

Although, you mention in your post that you download the songs to your USB stick, then run them through Rekordbox after. I think that's your problem right there. you see because rekordbox makes a copy of the file with it's own data attached to it, but you'll have the same file existing twice on the drive with the same name.

I would just keep all your music on your main computer hard-drive, reformat your USB stick clean to Fat32 type, then only export from rekordbox onto the drive.

the bridge function is for itunes. it "bridges" a connection between rekordbox and itunes to pull your playlists & songs from itunes into rekordbox. that is all