Low Bandwidth During Broadcast (Studio vs DVD Quality Recording)
    Tech Guru

Default Low Bandwidth During Broadcast (Studio vs DVD Quality Recording)

I have a question about bandwidth getting low during my broadcasts. I only have issues when I try to record using a higher quality (16 bit, 96k) vs (16 bit, 48k). I don't think it's my upload as I have a pretty fast upload speed ( 5 mbps). I also don't have gaps in my broadcast like a buffering issue would have. Rather, it just goes to a straight buzz until I lower the recording quality.

The mix in question: http://mixlr.com/andrew-hua/showreel/trance-hour-3-2/
    The problem starts ~57:10 and ends 1:17:50 when I lower the quality.

Is this probably just the stock sound card of my computer not being powerful enough?

I'm considering buying a Scarlett 2i2 for recording, but if it doesn't solve the issue then I'd like to save my money.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Guru

Sound cards don't have "power". There's probably some incompatibility somewhere, are the sound card settings set to the same sample rate in all applications?

What do you gain by uploading 44.1kHz music in 96k format anyway?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Power as in there is not enough bandwidth available with the onboard sound card to record higher quality files. It's not incompatibility since all it is doing is just recording the input. Application has nothing to do with the sound card other than selecting the input.

I'd like to record in a high quality format, even if it's negligible to the average listener. It doesn't hurt to record at a higher quality. I just threw 96k out there, but I would prefer to record in 24 bit. The problems still occur.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Guru

If it's within the specs of the sound card's DAC/ADC it should just work. You'll only get problems by selecting a setting that is beyond spec. Does Mixlr have a sample rate setting, and if so does it match the value in your OS's sound settings? Are you sure Mixlr supports 96k?

A sample rate above 44.1k only adds high frequencies that are beyond the human hearing range, and are not present in the original files to begin with. 16bit is more than enough for dynamic range, which is barely being used with all the compression in production these days.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I'm guessing it might either be a limitation of Mixlr, or maybe just the fact that you changed from 44 to 96 mid broadcast - some software just does not like when you make changes like that once something is playing.

Its highly likely that Mixlr themselves might even downsample the streams to 256kbps mp3 anyhow or disallow a samplerate of 24/96 for internet radio. It would seem a complete waste of bandwidth IMHO as it runs into over 1.8 gigs per hour. .
    Last edited by deevey; 06-05-2014 at 04:15 AM.

Tech Guru

Nah, I started at 96k. I've sent an email to Mixlr, and I believe it's on my end from what they're telling me.

It's more for my recording purposes since no one listens to my broadcasts live anyways :P