beatport lies to get popular / Truth about (regional track banning) its untrue

Default beatport lies to get popular / Truth about (regional track banning) its untrue

SO today i found an article and im just going to paste it. Its really a Q&A on some of the issues we see with Beatort.
    Are tracks really banned by region?
    How songs reach the top 100 and stay there.
    Where did that song go from yesterday? Say the label removed it.... is that true?

Theres a number of things in this article and as opinionated as they may seem, i guess we can take the reading and its content with a grain of salt (personally i take it with a grain of rice because i dont eat salt by itselt)

Here we go

Beatport Banned Tracks

— Why do Beatport sometimes ban tracks?
    — Sometimes artists / Record Labels buy their own tracks multiple times in order to make it into the Beatport Top100 chart in order to make a record look popular. Also Beatport users (mostly Dj’s) love to listen to the Top 100 hence being in the top 100 is sure to boost sales.

— Does Beatport ban all tracks which have been bought multiple times by the artist / record label?
    — We are not Beatport but we don’t think so! Its impossible for them to notice each time this is happening (it’s probably happening right now as you read this)!

— How do you know when a track has been banned by Beatport?
    — Our automated system monitors tracks / Top 100 in all genres on the Beatport website. It shows us which tracks have suddenly vanished! Then we check the links ourselves in order to confirm we then post to #BeatportBanned.

— Why it says «Restricted for your territory»?
    — Because Beatport like to come across as being politically correct. We have enough friends around the world who can double check as to whether or not a track has been restricted for all territories before we post it.

— Some tracks from your ‘banned list’ are available. Why is that?
    — Usually Beatport will block a track for 2 weeks. After that the label can redeliver a track & it will be available again on different link. Thats why the old link still shows up as a banned track even though it is available again via a new link.

— Some labels claim to have taken a track down themselves (for various reasons).
    — Could be true, but if you are a label & your track is rocking the Top10 chart would you really take it down? We don’t think so!!! Most of the tracks listed here have disappeared from high chart positions (even from the Beatport Main Top 10). Thats why we show the ‘Last chart position’ on our website.

— Why can’t I find a track from from various labels on your website? Everybody says they ‘buy in’ chart positions?
    — If these labels are not on our list then their tracks were never banned. This means they are either in the ‘clear’ or Beatport just haven’t caught them (yet!). We only list tracks which have been blocked by Beatport.

Cool read. I think we all know that these big EDM "actors", honestly I am not even calling them DJs, have their record label spend a load of that 'hard earned $$$' on buying their own tracks in order to get in the top 100 / top 10.

Tracks that 70%+ of them didn't even produce themselves, instead had them ghostwritten.

I mean heck, it could even be that a small/large % of these djs/producers are completely unaware that their labels are buying their own tracks, as of course, generates big $$ for them when their artist(s) hits the Top Chart and get's all those bookings in.

Meh, It's so shitty that this happens, but yeah.

And, beatport a few year ago? They would care. Beatport now? It has been taken over by a corporation, and the original founders re no longer there, thus the heart that started it isn't.

I don't really think that beatport as of now, care... They're making $$, hoody-ho.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

I'm not 100% certain as to how "truthful" any of that is, or if it came directly from Beatport. I've worked in the industry for a while as a buyer and curator for a couple of different shops (vinyl and digital), and in my experience, tracks come in from aggregators with restrictions on them already in place. To the best of my knowledge, territory restrictions enable an artist to get material out on multiple labels, and let those labels make a few bucks by "dividing up" the areas they sell in.

I do agree with you Sobi but that's not what they meant here, they mean specifically that a track is labelled as restricted when actually it isn't available at all (implying beatport makes a 'polite' statement instead of saying "we ban-hammered the sucker!!!!").
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Tech Wizard

If you dont want an artist to become fameous, just buy his tracks enough times to get him banned :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, territory restrictions enable an artist to get material out on multiple labels, and let those labels make a few bucks by "dividing up" the areas they sell in.
    right there!
    You may have hit on some additional information my friend. Now ur just peeling the lid to pandora's box open just a little bit more.
    Thanks for the comment. ANd i hear ya on working as a buyer and curator. I did that for a while as well 2005-2008