Macbook Pro or Windows laptop?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Macbook Pro or Windows laptop?

Just about to buy one or the other as my old HP Pavillion died suddenly last week. I will be running a VCI-100 with an NI Audio 4. The difference in price will be around £300. Is the extra expense of the MBP worth it for working with Traktor?

Any thoughts appreciated as struggling to decide at the moment!

Cheers,

Scot.

Tech Wizard

I'll probably get some flak for this, but frankly, go with the MBP just for the stability. My MacBook Pro has never had any troubles with audio, ever, apart from occasional audio skips in Ableton when I'm running too many programs at once and it can't read the hard drive fast enough. Even then, the obvious solution is a dedicated mixing account. (I believe DJTT posted a guide about DJing on Macs not too long ago.)

Trust me, that extra £300 will be more than worth the stability and simplicity.

macbook pro FTW

Tech Wizard

Also the MacBook Pro probably looks better than whatever alternative you're considering.

Definately moving towards the MBP...the more people i speak to the more good things i hear re latency, stability and lack of viruses. To be honest I'm just moving over to the VCI and NI audio 4 from Technics and a DJM 600 (still keeping the old set up for old times sake.)

Can you also give me a steer on hooking up the VCI-100 AND THE AUDIO 4 and the MBP/Laptop? The VCI has one usb, the audio 4 has one usb...am I going from the vci into the laptop by usb and also from the audio 4 into the laptop by usb? I tried this and was getting some serious sound popping/fuzzing etc. I havent been able to really look at it as the old laptop is dead so nothing to hook into.....

Again, any thoughts appreciated and thanks for the MPB thoughts.

Scot.

Tech Wizard

I'm not too experienced with the Audio 4 and VCI but there shouldn't be anything like that going on. Might have been your old computer. I've had my crappy MobilePre USB and MIDI controller plugged into my MBP 17 a couple of times with no issues.

Your probably right, Don't think it was the usb cables as i got them here. I'll work it out when i get my new kit. Thanks.

hey

yeah i'm not gonna go into the whole MBP vs Windows debate again there are already a good few threads on here if you do a search, but coming from an unbiased point of view the MBP is worth the extra.

For an everyday machine that you wanna do lots of things with then a PC IMO is the way to go, more choice of software, price, models, budget etc etc,

But when you just want a machine for one specific job (DJing, music recording, graphic design, video editing), and your income depends on it so you want it to be stable and just work out the box and every time after, then Apple's very narrow choice and complete control of both the OS, the chipsets, and the marriage of the two, means that the extra money earns itself back.

k

Although ignore the lack of viruses thing, this has been a fabulous piece of marketing on Apple's behalf. They like to insinuate that their computers are somehow magical and immune from viruses and hackers when its totally not the case.

There are JUST AS MANY flaws found these days on OSX as Windows, its just windows is very honest about publishing the details of all their patches and fixes while Apple is very obscure about them and plays them down as much as possible.

And on the virus front the only reasons there isn't the same plethora of Trojans, viruses and worms is that up until now it simply hasn't been worth writing one. Why spend all that time writing for a platform that had less than 5% of US and 3% of world market share, and this was mostly personal computers, when you could write one that would infect the other 97% including all of the worlds large businesses and get lots of juicy financial or other sensitive information you could make a profit on.

However now that Apple has a much bigger market share than ever before they'll come. LOL i'd bet a month's DJing wages easy that the first widespread Apple virus will hit next year, and because Apple users have been so smug and secure in the past and haven't bothered to learn about anti-virus or what precautions to take, it'll hit HARD!

k

Mbp!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast