I was a DJ like a thousand years ago.

My middle daughter's getting married soon and I'm putting together a modest music system for the reception.

Short version of my question:

Is there simple playlist software (for Mac) that will allow straightforward editing of track fade in and out points, is not full of other overblown features, and is stable?

Even an iTunes plugin that allowed to specify fade in and out points would be good enough.

Long version of my question:

All we want to do is play a playlist, to be left unattended most of the time, but with some flexibility to add or remove tracks, or skip sections, go back and so on.

However I don't want to just let iTunes handle the transitions because many of the tracks have soft starts or ends and it can sound a bit crap.

So I could edit a special version of each MP3 that has an odd start or end, and let iTunes handle everything, but I figure it would be better to use a playlist editor that allowed you to specify the fade in and out points for each track. Such a thing must exist, I thought

I've been googling for days and so far I have found MegaSeg, and it's ok, it is stable and does what I am after but it is not the most intuitive interface (especially when it comes to fade points), and it's $100 (though I don't mind buying it if it's the right tool).

I have also found Virtual DJ 8 which arguably has a better transition editor, but, and it's a "big but", I've found that it's not very stable... it's crashed twice in the couple of hours I've been playing with it. I gather it's the first version of a rewrite from the ground up. I'll have another laptop cued and ready to go but I would rather not have to worry about the playlist crashing.

So is there simple playlist software (for Mac) that will allow straightforward editing of track fade in and out points, is not full of other overblown features, and is stable?

Even an iTunes plugin that allowed to specify fade in and out points would be good enough.

Thanks