Seth Troxler: "Techno/Tech House is over saturated.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Seth Troxler: "Techno/Tech House is over saturated.

This is not necessarily me passing judgment on the quality of music but the reality that many people miss. Even Seth himself I believe as he states he doesn’t know what needs to change in this current scene. I have always said that the “current” underground form of techno/tech house gets a pass unlike festival electro hard dance EDM because it is underground and anything not commercial is cool. However, all of the above genres are still extreme forms of dance in a sense that the average music listener of either genre are at odds with the other.

Underground techno/tech house acts calls for the EDM bubble to burst but they give themselves a pass. But not Seth. However, since they are both forms of extreme dance, it is only reasonable that an extreme version of anything isn’t sustainable. What is sustainable is the mid-line form of any genre within dance that can take elements from either extreme side and create a bridge. What is sustainable is a party like previous years when the night develops from deeper sounds leading up to bigger and harder beats and ending off with deeper darker/after hour sounds- the essence of a journey. This can virtually apply to any genre and its sub-genres.

But now, there is an identity crisis in that after-hour tunes are replacing peak hour or pool/day events. There is no sense of atmosphere in which music is properly paired with the setting and timing. Terrace sunset happy sets are being replaced by dark dubby slow techno/tech house where we should be rejoicing the rising of the sun with vocals and purity.

Also, the mid-line artist from huge non-radio labels that produce the housey vocal sounds, specifically for nightclubs with instruments, and that can crossover from dark to progressive, are being pushed back and find themselves playing either EDM events or techno dirty beats. They are limited due to the over saturation of techno/tech house vs Anthem/festival EDM events. The in-between music like shown below, although still being made, suffers big time. It should be where we should all be able to live as one not have any 1 or 2 genres saturate 1 scene. Music like below has major crossover appeal even to mature adults but is considered too poppy by underground acts and too deep for commercial acts.

And this is why Seth and the owner of Cocoon Ibiza are saying the following:
    Here is a chopped version to go straight to what they are saying.

Seth Troxler: "Techno/Tech House is over saturated" IMS Ibiza panel @42:35
    http://www.tubechop.com/watch/3076153

Cocoon Ibiza Yanis: The underground bubble bursted in Ibiza. "Underground is still niche and can't be mainstream in Ibiza"” @ 48:00
    http://www.tubechop.com/watch/3076838

Here is the full video
    Last edited by colione98; 06-18-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Tech Guru

I feel like all Seth Troxler does is complain.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I'm with you on this one. It's actually funny how DJ Sneak accused him of the exact things that he's complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Yes, but he is on a discussion panel with major players and even 15 year vet/management of cocoon ibiza said the underground bubble bursted because ibiza can't handle so many underground events- its still to niche, even for ibiza. This time, its not only seth and the reason why there is a discussion panel- to discull the evolvement of nightlife and music.

Tech Mentor

Seth is right in the respect that in back in the day you had studios, mixing and mastering engineers and record cutting which did a certain amount of quality control. You had a lot less music being produced and distributed. Nowadays you have like 100x the amount of music and the quality varies a lot more. As for too many clubs/DJ parties...I dunno. If each venue is drawing a good crowd and more DJs are working I see no problem with that. If it's spreading the attendance thin, if the fact people go out one night means they don't go out another night well that's a lil different.

So called "underground" music, well to me it doesn't seem to be big festival music that fills an outdoor stadium. But maybe that's me being closed minded. Locally I find that the DJs playing the more commercial stuff, Progressive or Electro or "Big Room" music that they're more or less completely interchangeable. They also get a lot more work. The ones that do more Tech House, Techno, Minimal tend to stand out more as individuals but work less.

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    So called "underground" music, well to me it doesn't seem to be big festival music that fills an outdoor stadium. But maybe that's me being closed minded. Locally I find that the DJs playing the more commercial stuff, Progressive or Electro or "Big Room" music that they're more or less completely interchangeable. They also get a lot more work. The ones that do more Tech House, Techno, Minimal tend to stand out more as individuals but work less.
    You are right and I think you will find that in most places. There is a reason why techno/tech house hasn't made it to mainstream radio. It doesn't have a mass appeal like the vocals and synth of electro and progressive pop.

However, in the club, there are to be "club mixes" that should be different that what is on the radio. Now it isn't the case. At the same time, the club music should have some type of crossover appeal that can relate to a wider audience. Back in the day, much of the club music being pressed actually made into charts but stayed mostly in the clubs/compilations and off radio.

Today, its radio EDM vs dirty beats/techno/tech house- all the other potential crossover club music is virtually nowhere to be found except for mp3 sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    As for too many clubs/DJ parties...I dunno. If each venue is drawing a good crowd and more DJs are working I see no problem with that. If it's spreading the attendance thin, if the fact people go out one night means they don't go out another night well that's a lil different.
    Well, what happened is that in Ibiza last year, they thought this new surge of underground and techno would allow everyone to do their own parties and create so many different events and would change ibiza forever. What happened is that the clubs didn't fill up because some parties didn't fill the clubs as others and it was just too much too choose from. So this year, they want it to be more of a family affair because the underground can't carry ibiza on its own.

I wish I could sit around and discuss music for a living. Instead I'm sitting at work... Fuck life.

Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I wish I could sit around and discuss music for a living. Instead I'm sitting at work... Fuck life.
    We all have different sched and different time zones. We are keeping the fire burning for ya so when you come on over, we will hand you over a nice fat peace of steak to cook up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast