Importance of club music for the ladies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Importance of club music for the ladies

Why is it that a grimey street bully like 50 cents that, has sold millions of units, understands the importance of making music for the ladies at the club. But when it comes to dance music, much, not all, but recently a lot of the underground is just dirty beats? Nothing wrong with getting down but why the fear by the sweaty basement thieves to make a couple danceable joints for the honeys? Music is music right? Why this constant need for dirty beats?

What's with this obsession with the after hours sound at pool side or on a boat at 12 pm in the afternoon?
    Last edited by colione98; 06-23-2014 at 05:36 PM.

are you talking about G House? (I am addicted to it and have been playing the sh!t out of it for the last year or so.)
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Mentor

what do you mean exactly by "dirty"? like dj godfather or like electronic grit?

house music works for the ladies so does most anything that will make you dance..

No like dirty dark techno/tech house. Nothing wrong with it but I find that there is this obsession with it and it seems to be replacing the sunny fun environments. For me, there is a time and place for everything but I just find that I can't go to an club venue these days without it being straight up either TOP 40, EDM electro, or dirty underground techno. I was in NY and last weekend and its the same thing in Miami. All the vocal club danceable stuff is gone.

Listen, Im not hating on the music but this is not exactly the music I want to hear at a pool side event when Im trying to get down with some chickies. But every pool party I have been to so far this past month has been stuff like this. And its also the same stuff I am hearing at night during peak hours. Whatever happened to opening vs peak hour vs after hours sets?

Last edited by colione98; 06-23-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Tech Wizard

A lot of people want to listen to tech house in the sun. Heck, there are summer-long outdoors music festivals in both Montreal and Toronto (Piknic Electronic and Electric Island, respectively) that play mostly tech house. They're very popular and have a great vibe.

Tech Guru

Well for starters using Hawtin and Nina as an example isn't the best idea, considering hawtin is known for Techno, and Kraviz for her love of techno/acid stuff. So yeah that's what there going to play?

Same for anyone that plays a similar sound playing in the day.

The move towards grittier harder edge of House/Techno, well NYC have been at the forefront of that for a while since LIES turned up on the scene, ran by ron morelli, as well as new starters like The Bunker, Mutual Dreaming, Proibito, Mister Saturday Night ETC, these are obviously underground labels to a point, LIES the being the biggest of them.

There's been a move back to using analogue gear, experimentation, and not everything sounding crispy clear.

I can only talk from my experience, which is vinyl, and the music I like/play, being house and techno.

There is obviously always a time and place, but if your known for something and get booked to play in the day, are you going to change your style? No.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colione98 View Post
    understands the importance of making music for the ladies at the club.
    My god... I just showed this to my wife (who goes clubbing a lot)... she hasn't a clue what you mean.
    We don't all go to clubs that are full of macho twats. Your field of experience seems to be very narrow.

She also said that the thread title was "patronising and sexist" - I'll tell you what she said, I didn't say this. It is a womans perspective so take it as that - "what makes him think women can't handle the music, what, do we need it watering down so us weak little women can handle it, is he 12 years old, has he ever met a woman" - her words dude, not mine.

a lot of the underground is just dirty beats?
    No it's not. You are going to the wrong clubs. Again I say your field of experience seems very narrow. The clubs I go to are 50/50 men/women. The music is not gender specific.

sweaty basement
    Most of the clubs we go to are sweaty basements. Women love it. I saw Carl Craig in a basement that was literally a basement, a huge system and nothing else not even any lights/smoke. It was a shit-hole. The "honeys" love it.

for the honeys
    My wife said "anyone using that term in a thread about the supposed inherent sexism in music is probably a sexist themselves but they just don't realise it". I mean c'mon dude, you can't call women "honeys" and then expect to be taken seriously when you are addressing what you consider to be sexism.

You need to go clubbing with me and my missus. Totty everywhere hahaha.

LOL @ this thread....LOL!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

The only difference between men and women in clubs is that women actually remember to put on some deodorant.
    Last edited by DISaS73R; 06-24-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Tech Mentor

I think I catch a little of the vibe, but as noted, you are using the wrong examples. Hawten IS minimal techno and NYC has always been a little darker and dirtier on the beats. And, living there my whole life and clubbing (although not actively in the past 10 years) can tell you the ladies usually are the ones leading the floor in those places .

The happier poppier stuff is still around in droves (how many Guetta or Avicci tracks get played to death?) and usually shows up at smaller venues or clubs that are not Pascha or hard core clubs. I have to play that stuff in the smaller venues I do (don't like to, but have to please the majority) because the crowds generally do not adapt to harder stuff all night long. One of the most annoying requests I get (outside of the Spice Girls or Brittany Spears) is "can you play something with words".

Although, I can tell you it is usually a group of woman that start going nuts when I turn up the harder stuff...so, it always tends to happen eventually

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast