Affordable audio interface for 4 deck play
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Affordable audio interface for 4 deck play

Hey guys,

Im about to buy a new audio interface and am a little confused. I need one to to support 4 deck play (mixing externally) and up until now was thinking of the NI Audio 4 which has 4 outputs, but just checked the NI site which says only the audio 8 supports 4 decks. Why cant the audio 4 do that with 4 outputs? Would the m-audio pre usb support 4 decks? Looking for something around 150pounds.

Thanks for your advice!

Tech Wizard

The A4 has 4 outputs, but remember those outputs come in stereo pairs, so 1 output for left and one for right. That's why the A8 with 8 outputs (4xleft + 4x right) is the only suitable one (from NI at least) that will fulfill your requirements.

Hope that helps,
    Fus

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you want to use TSP you NEED the Audio8 to control 4 decks through timecode. If you want to control 2 decks internally and 2 decks through timecode you still need the audio8. If you want to control only 2 decks externally you can use the Audio4.

The other alternative is to use a 4 channel Traktor Certified mixer, but that's going to run more than 150
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

You didn't really mention what you're looking for apart from the 4 deck external output?

I use a Creative X-Fi Notebook (PCe) card which works fine (with ASIO4ALL) for the situation you mentioned, at the time it was about £49 + £20 or so for the splitter box. A lot of people seem to not like the creative cards, not sure why - I've had creative cards in my rig since the Extigy (pretty much the first USB 1.1 soundcard), and not run into problems yet.

Fus

That's true. My mistake in saying mixing externally. That post only relies on timecode.

If you're just mixing in a mixer then you have more options.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

ok the only reason i thougth the A4 could handle 4 decks is because the A2 for example only has 2 outputs, so i thought you would connect a line in cable for each deck to the mixer.

I wont need timecode as i dont use cdjs or anything just a xone 1d.

And the creative card would allow me to control 4 traktor decks with my controller and an external mixer yes? Will definately look into that, seems much cheaper than any other solution!

Logic would dictate that the Audio4 will control 4 decks, but it's 4 outs in mono. You could have four outs, technically, but it wouldn't sound as good.

Creative will work but I'm always wary of their stuff for anything more than personal use, and even then to an extent. They are cheap for a reason.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Yeah I suppose the differences between the A4 and A2 are a little confusing when you look at it that way, but there you go, that's NI for you.

This is the creative card I have: http://uk.europe.creative.com/produc...=16642&listby=

But it doesn't look like you can purchase this version any more (maybe have a look on Ebay?) - I notice creative have an updated version, but it doesn't look like the new version has all the outputs mine has - it's more centered around the wireless streaming. Not sure if there's any other PCe cards out there that have 4 stereo outputs?

Fus

Tech Wizard

ok so if i really want 4 decks im lookin at an audio8 or equivalent?

if i decide i just want 2 decks after all (mainly due to price atm) is the audio2 or something like a fast track pro a safe choice?

Quote Originally Posted by mnml View Post
    ok so if i really want 4 decks im lookin at an audio8 or equivalent?
    Exactly, you need something with 4 stereo outputs, the Audio 8 has 4 stereo inputs too, but you don't need them as you won't use timecode, so look for something with 4 outs

Quote Originally Posted by mnml View Post
    if i decide i just want 2 decks after all (mainly due to price atm) is the audio2 or something like a fast track pro a safe choice?
    Yeap, if the Audio 2 is about the same quality of the Audio 8, you can go for this one for sure
    Last edited by minimalmintek; 10-21-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    mintek on mixcloud | http://www.mixcloud.com/mintek/
    xone:92 | 2 x Kontrol X1 | 2 x cdj1000 mkII | pdx-2300 mkII pro | rp-dj 1200 | audio 8 dj | tsp 2.0.1 | live 8 suite | logic pro 9 | komplete 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast