How well do you know the tracks you are mixing - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    that advice makes no sence
    thats like saying EVERY CAR that takes gas is built the same
    Every pair of shoes with laces will last 3 years

obviously not. And songs are the same. How would this 8 bar timing work when you are mixing an extended vocal version track into a RADIO EDIT

trust me, that 8 bars does NOT exist the same between the two tracks
    The tutor taught us to count 4 bars for radio edits, instead of 8.

you can't tell a story if you don't know your tunes mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by d4rren View Post
    The tutor taught us to count 4 bars for radio edits, instead of 8.
    wow that makes even less sense
    and i didnt think it was possible

Are you paying for this guy? If so ill bet he has a magic elixir that cures all which ales all.

Who's holding this farce of a tutorial class and where can i crash it?

Quote Originally Posted by antifm
    Who's holding this farce of a tutorial class and where can i crash it?
    Oh - that I'd like to see! Turn up mob handed and CRUSH that fool!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    you can't tell a story if you don't know your tunes mate.
    Theres a difference between not knowing what your playing and not knowing what bar the bass dissapears. I am on about the latter. Can you go through your library and automatically say what bar the bass drops out, or when the crispy hi hats dissapear on the top of your head?

Lol exact opposite for myself and like others have stated. I know every inch of the songs im playing.

I know the bars and what comes where in most of my tunes off by heart but its not just about making the beats/bars/phases match up and i've found myself listening to a lot of the percussion that was throwing some of mixes out. Whilst some aspects of a tune in genre, bassline and BPM etc all seemed to fit, a particularly 'tingly' sounding snare or aggressive Clap for instance would make the mix seem a bit off and seem to change tempos/impact of the mix which i wasn't looking for.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Oh - that I'd like to see! Turn up mob handed and CRUSH that fool!
    i can just see is flash mobing that place with Giant DJTT signs

Tech Mentor

Well, to be honest, music IS structured in a certain way. If you buy any of the EDM Beatport top 10 tracks, you'll notice they're structered pretty much all the same. There are some minor duration differences (some have 8 bar drops, some 16, some 24) but everything is structured.

So, if you know why everything is structured for as long as it is, you'll soon understand the songs in that genre. And if you understand that simple theory, it's quite simple to mix music. So, I fully understand why the teacher said so.

However, knowing how a song works, and listening to whether or not they fit and how you can keep up a high level of energy is a completely different story

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    Well, to be honest, music IS structured in a certain way. If you buy any of the EDM Beatport top 10 tracks, you'll notice they're structered pretty much all the same. There are some minor duration differences (some have 8 bar drops, some 16, some 24) but everything is structured.

So, if you know why everything is structured for as long as it is, you'll soon understand the songs in that genre. And if you understand that simple theory, it's quite simple to mix music. So, I fully understand why the teacher said so.

However, knowing how a song works, and listening to whether or not they fit and how you can keep up a high level of energy is a completely different story
    At long last...somebody who understands

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast