are 12 inch speakers too big for bedroom DJing?

Default are 12 inch speakers too big for bedroom DJing?

Hey guys, I was looking to buy a new set of monitors for my bedroom setup, but figured that powered speakers may be a better option for a few reasons - more volume when wanted, AND the opportunity to use them for small parties etc if needed!

However, I was just wondering if they would be suitable for a bedroom setup, size and volume wise? As in will a cheapish pair of 12" go quiet enough and with enough detail for a small room?

What do you think?
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

how many sqm?

Speaker with 6,5inch mid/bass will pump out enough juice for 10-15 sqm.
    If you go bigger they will be harder to place and you will have more acoustic and resonance problems.
    i would rather go for small and quality than big and inferior quality.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beijer View Post
    how many sqm?

Speaker with 6,5inch mid/bass will pump out enough juice for 10-15 sqm.
    If you go bigger they will be harder to place and you will have more acoustic and resonance problems.
    i would rather go for small and quality than big and inferior quality.
    They would just have to be loud enough for me to spin some tunes comfortably in my room, but not kill my housemates - but then have the volume to also host a small party? I know that's vague but it's the best I can do to describe it!
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

You should really be specing speakers for your "small party" then. You can always turn down the volume when you're in your bedroom.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

I'm using just one 12 inch speaker for this!

Rcf Art 312A (mkIII), plays low volume in the bedroom and works for small party's as wel. I don't think stereo sound is a must, mono sounds fine if you ask me (most clubs are mono too).

Also, getting one speaker of high quality seems like a smarter option to me then 2 crappy ones!'

i dig the Rcf Art 312A (mkIII) FOR SURE!!

there's 2 of them as booth monitors in one of the clubs i play, and i love em very crisp and real loud!

Tech Mentor

My KRK rokit 6s fill my 2,000 sq ft house without issue when we have parties. They're plenty loud to cause trouble.

Tech Mentor

They won't fill a room like a Pa speaker would! And are not build for hours on hours of playing at high volume!

The risk of running them hot/damage is great if you ask me.

Although dj/producer monitor systems are nicer to use for the bedroom, they are not for parties.

Tech Mentor

My krk rokits run at 50% power, never more and get used for ohh about 40-50 hours a week minimum.. and I've had them since the gen 1 models were launched.

They fill a family room just fine.

studio sessions typically last as long as a party.. Sure a sub would be nice but it's not necessary.

there is no such thing as "too big" ... your neighbours may disagree though!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "