Live drums on stage??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

This works great with house music or anything that meshes well with a Latin vibe. As mentioned, clubs in NYC had this very often (I'll go back 15-20 years on that one). Bongos, congas, etc. I remember being blown away watching a guy (who almost looked homeless) jam away while a half naked girl danced in between him and the drums...and did not miss a beat. That is some talent
    It added a great vibe to some songs that would be tired or played out otherwise. Kind of like the human version of a remix deck.

Don't think the hippy drum circle would be a good vibe though

Tech Guru

well i play various "pure" forms of trance. so some balaeric stuff, progressive, psy, uplifting etc... The drummers i have in mind all work with me and some have 30 years experience. it will be strictly djembe's though

Tech Wizard

It's a great idea. Also, if you're going to do this I recommend leaving a few moments almost purely to the drummers (while keeping a metronome). I've seen Huggie do this in Milwaukee with two guys on snares and 3 more on hand percussion rotating so that each drummer gets a rest during a 4 hour set. Epic.

Percussion and House music go together like vodka and redbull especially when the DJ and Drummer know each other well, we have been a DJ percussion duo since 2007 and find it can be difficult in certain club enviroments when the drummer doesnt have a dedicated foldback or the DJ booth lacks sufficcent space.

Electronic drum pads like the Roland Octapad SPD30 are perfect for club gigs dragging a full kit around can be a bit awkies.

Nice work Ash and Dave u have just inspired me to make a vid

Check this one out its Michael Schack one of the worlds best drummers, im not a fan of the music style but pretty cool all the same

www.twitter.com/lastresortdjs

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    Percussion and House music go together like vodka and redbull especially when the DJ and Drummer know each other well, we have been a DJ percussion duo since 2007 and find it can be difficult in certain club enviroments when the drummer doesnt have a dedicated foldback or the DJ booth lacks sufficcent space.

Electronic drum pads like the Roland Octapad SPD30 are perfect for club gigs dragging a full kit around can be a bit awkies.

Nice work Ash and Dave u have just inspired me to make a vid

Check this one out its Michael Schack one of the worlds best drummers, im not a fan of the music style but pretty cool all the same

www.twitter.com/lastresortdjs

i have 8 drum pads/modules, octapads, spd 10, 20, handsonics, korgs you name it as well as a dozen or so djembes and a td20x 0_0 i never thought about grining the electronics out when DJing haha

Default We Love Live Drums!

A great live drummer can really set off a set. I've seen drummers for all sorts of sets from Hip Hop, to chill, and downtempo, to jam bands, and everything in between. Michal Menert has had A.C. playing drums with him and those are always my favorite sets not to mention the good ol days of PL rocking out with live drums. Glad to see live drums back with the PL Live Band.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Carr View Post
    I had a cool idea after Dave & I recorded our practice video: If we had a midi drum kit or some drum pads etc, we could trigger single hits using traktor's remix decks and have some live percussion as well, What do ya think? i think that a real drummer triggering samples in the remix decks would be ideal as all the sounds can be tailored and chosen to go with the music and they can run through the same sound system, and be eq'd and shaped to fit in with the mix.
    drum controllers are pretty cheap also some 16 pad thing is easy to place and gives the drummer options.

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post
    drum controllers are pretty cheap also some 16 pad thing is easy to place and gives the drummer options.
    lol the drummer i usually teach/play with can barely check his email let alone use a controller that requires software. although i am looking purely at djembes on stage, for that hippie feel

We have mapped our SPD30 to trigger Hot loops and hotcues within traktor and also the first 8 cells in each remix deck. its opens up so many possibilities and looks pretty cool too. Setting a few cue points to an acapella (or creating a remix set from an acapella) and drumming vocal layers over a track is sweeeeeeeet

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Carr View Post
    I had a cool idea after Dave & I recorded our practice video: If we had a midi drum kit or some drum pads etc, we could trigger single hits using traktor's remix decks and have some live percussion as well, What do ya think? i think that a real drummer triggering samples in the remix decks would be ideal as all the sounds can be tailored and chosen to go with the music and they can run through the same sound system, and be eq'd and shaped to fit in with the mix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12