Pre Mixing Tracks - Good? Bad?

Default Pre Mixing Tracks - Good? Bad?

What's everyones views on pre-mixing their tracks and rendering it out as 1 track.

To explain, let's say you have 2 songs that you found sound really well together, so you go and export that little mix as now 1 song. I guess this would be for efficiency purposes when mixing.

I know that in Dn'B music, the double drop is when 2 tracks break at the same time giving you this 'new' sound, but pre rendering these 2 songs ahead of time is a big 'no-no' and seems like, double dropping is only reserved to be done LIVE.

Do you pre mix your tracks for efficiency or do you manually do everything? Would pre mixing be considered 'cheating' ??

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I do everything live. I have some pre-mixed stuff for backup in case of a crash, on CDs. It's not cheating, but with what we're working with there's almost no point in NOT doing it live.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

I've done this once or twice but only when both songs work so well together for the entirety of each. The idea is that by recording a new track out of both original tracks, it frees up one of the decks so I can cue the next track much more readily. So really I'm recording my own mashups, not mixes that go from Track A to Track B in sequence.

I dont see it as bad as long as not not up there twiddling your thumbs and your actually doing your job. Double drops really arnt difficult at all to do digitally though so thats not really a good reason to premix tracks. I personally like being able to take the music anywhere i want to so i try not to do too much premixing work if at all possible to give myself more possible outcomes.

yeah. only really bad if your faking the funk -

cough*PETER HOOK*cough
    http://www.inthemix.com.au:80/news/i...591/Peter_Hook

but premixing ain't bad. espesically if you're going for a more "smashed" sound like girltalk - aka doing like 300 songs in 5 minutes type things...
    "This is the soundtrack to the nightmares in which I can't wake up. I'm about to be murdered, or I'm being forced to jump off a cliff. Thank you."
    http://www.myspace.com/kagnawh

When it comes to mash up, remixes, acapella over instrumental they are ok. Pre-mix tracks are a no-no, why? You have Traktor/Live (or which ever dj prog) to assist in dj'ing. I agree to always carry some pre-mixed cd's or ipod just in case your system takes a shit on you.

...Hey leave Peter Hook alone, he was doing DJ Pilates...I saw the infomercial today @ 3am and he was the host.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC1200 View Post
    ...Hey leave Peter Hook alone, he was doing DJ Pilates...I saw the infomercial today @ 3am and he was the host.

Peter Hook gets a pass this once, but he still owes us a real dj set. i don't care if it's awful, i just wanna see it...
    "This is the soundtrack to the nightmares in which I can't wake up. I'm about to be murdered, or I'm being forced to jump off a cliff. Thank you."
    http://www.myspace.com/kagnawh