The SoundCloud Double Standard
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The SoundCloud Double Standard

In the past, I’ve had 2 SoundCloud mixes flagged for copyright violation. These weren’t BeatPort top 10 style tracks, and that’s what surprised me. So I started doing the tried and true “5 seconds of silence” trick, and that was working fine until last Saturday I was uploading my July mix but it was flagged. I edited the mix and put 10 seconds of silence in, still was flagged. This, along with these two articles have lead me to downgrade my account from Pro Unlimited, and at the end of this month I’ll be back to basic, and I’m moving all my 2014 mixes to MixCloud and Mixcrate.

My gripe with the whole thing is this: how come I get flagged, but Mixmag/Thump/Fact/other popular podcast or emag puts mixes up regularly with nary a slap on the wrist or a cross look? Besides a large number of followers, a dedicated social media PR team, and a strong presence in the industry, what’s the difference between us? I’m not doing anything different than they are, they just happen to reach more of an audience.

Look, we all know when we put a mix up we don’t own the rights to any of these tracks. We’re just trying to share something we’re passionate about. Some labels see it as free promotion, spreading awareness of their product. Others think you’re violating their copyright and taking money away from them. That’s fine, a little discouraging, but that’s their right. All I’m saying is if you’re going to go after the little guy, then the big boys should be held just as accountable. Your number of followers/plays/likes shouldn’t make you above the law.

Quote Originally Posted by RLRudi View Post
    All I’m saying is if you’re going to go after the little guy, then the big boys should be held just as accountable.
    they are held accountable
    even celebrity producers get their mixes taken down
    recently i posted a topic all about this and linked to a news article later in the discussion.

Hold them accountable? they are being held.........their release companies, agencies, etc, are paying royalties and licensing feeds to use the same song you are using for free

I do not have my mixes taken down... i do have a 54 second intro to my podcast and i make sure to label it as podcast and radio in the type and keywords

they should email you to let you know the offending track and label. just stop using that label.
    maybe i'm one of the lucky ones, over 85 mixes up and have only had 3 pinged since 2007
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    they should email you to let you know the offending track and label. just stop using that label.
    maybe i'm one of the lucky ones, over 85 mixes up and have only had 3 pinged since 2007
    only one mix taken down out of around almost 50 i have uploaded, not including old stuff i removed myself

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Yep, I got those. All 3 times it was a different label, and ones that I thought were "mixtape" friendly labels. I'm just tired of spending the time putting something together, mastering it, typing up a tracklist, sitting through the entire upload process, crossing my fingers hoping it won't get flagged. I wish they would tell you sooner when it does trip a wire so it doesn't feel like you just wasted a half hour sitting there.

sucks, i know. in couple of cases, i've been able to edit the intro with a fade in or add some subtle flanger and they accepted it then, most of the time its the first track they flag anyway.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Are these take downs related to enabling the download feature? As I also understand it, Mixcloud has a royalty agreement to cover mixes upload but Soundcloud does not. Perhaps Soundcloud should fix the problem if this is it, after all most of us pay to use it (yeah I know we pay for bandwidth, server space, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Lex77 View Post
    Are these take downs related to enabling the download feature? As I also understand it, Mixcloud has a royalty agreement to cover mixes upload but Soundcloud does not. Perhaps Soundcloud should fix the problem if this is it, after all most of us pay to use it (yeah I know we pay for bandwidth, server space, etc).
    I don't think whether you enable downloads or not affects the copyright violation, it's just the content. It's usually the first track where it gets you, but last March I had something taken down I'd had up since January of 2013, so it's not like if you make it through once you're safe for good.

I've moved everything to Mixcloud, and gradually Mixcrate as well, but it's difficult to get the same number of plays there than at SoundCloud. But I'm not going back and it will be nice to not have to worry about how many seconds of silence/effects I have to have at the start of a mix to get past copyright gatekeepers, and SoundCloud's only going to get worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast