Speakers for my new student house help!!

Default Speakers for my new student house help!!

Hi!

First of all I'm totally ignorant about speakers so I need help finding the most titillating pair to instal in my new student home for mostly party purposes. I'm not a DJ or even remotely acquainted with playing music at a 'high level of skill' so I intend on simply plugging in my iPad, phone or laptop (I'm sorry if I've offended anyone) and let spotify do its thing. I would like them to be stand-mountable as well. Furthermore, I don't know anything about different types of sound quality, specs and the sorts, so I just want something good that could handle even the duttiest of bases and drops smoothly. I'm also on a budget so I'm not looking for anything fancy... just good speakers on a stand that I could plug my iPod into. Please DO NOT recommend iPod docks or anything of the sort! The ones I've had were crap and could not achieve the high volumes or impact I'm looking for.

If you don't know any specific speakers to recommend, any other form of advice would be helpful. For example, what's an amplifier? do I need an amplifier to connect my iPod to standing speakers? What sort of cables do I need? is Ebay a reliable source? What about Skytec? are there any specific brands worth looking at? Is it true speakers break if the sound is too loud?

Many thanks and best wishes! xoxo

Tech Guru

Not really sure why you're coming to a DJ forum to ask these questions. Gearslutz would be able to help you a lot more with the larger userbase and more technical expertise on audio.

What is the size of the room?
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Search for used Mackie Thumps

Tech Wizard

Go to Richer Sounds, take a CD with you, they'll sort you out.

+1 on richer sounds. Id say look at some KRKs too. The bigger the better
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Don't bother with studio monitors if it's for student parties. Large hi-fi speakers with a decent amp should give you a strong sound on a small budget, otherwise look at some small PA speakers.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB