Help Buy Equipment

Default Help Buy Equipment

Hello,
    I've always been passionate about DJing and music production. I've finally got money to spend and get into the next level.
    Which is the best setup/which setup gives me more options?

1) kontrol s2 and mashine
    2) kontrol s4 and maschine mikro
    3) kontrol s2, maschine mikro and kontrol f1

ps. I don't have space/mobility problems.

Thank you very very much for the help.

I'd say with the options listed there you'd have a solid platform for DJ'ing and a Maschine/Maschine Mikro will provide plenty of options for performances (Think finger drumming/Loops etc) and combining anything you can do with DJ'ing from the S4/S2 and traktor synced up with a Maschine/Mikro is a lot of fun.

Im no production Wizard but some may say you might want to use another DAW to produce with alongside Maschine. It's each to their own however, and i use my Maschine mainly to make Loops/Patterns that i have synced up with traktor, rather than full scale productions.

You can also drag and drop patterns from Maschine to traktor to use with an F1 if you'd rather, though having a maschine negates the need for an F1 as you can do everything an F1 can do and hell of a lot more!

Personally i'd go for the S4/Maschine mikro.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Gear question = Gear sub forum

Tech Mentor

Why do you limit yourself to equipment from native instruments? The S2 and S4 in particular have pretty poor build quality. Also from the maschine standpoint, going with the mikro will leave you longing for a lot more very shortly. Most people wished they went for the mk2 instead of the mikro because the mikro is so limited. There really is nothing wrong with maschine as a production tool, but some people want something more sophisticated and end up with Ableton or Komplete.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    Why do you limit yourself to equipment from native instruments? The S2 and S4 in particular have pretty poor build quality. Also from the maschine standpoint, going with the mikro will leave you longing for a lot more very shortly. Most people wished they went for the mk2 instead of the mikro because the mikro is so limited. There really is nothing wrong with maschine as a production tool, but some people want something more sophisticated and end up with Ableton or Komplete.
    I don't have much more than $1500 to spend, I really liked the Maschine and tought of buying a Controller of the same brand, since I'm also familiar with the traktor pro 2 software. So, given what I'm looking for (nice dj and music production gear) what do you recomend me?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Gear question = Gear sub forum
    Sorry, I'm new here. =[

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jopejuca View Post
    I don't have much more than $1500 to spend, I really liked the Maschine and tought of buying a Controller of the same brand, since I'm also familiar with the traktor pro 2 software. So, given what I'm looking for (nice dj and music production gear) what do you recomend me?
    Currently I'm looking into going more to the production side myself, although I'll probably wait until around christmas until I actually buy something. From what I've seen so far the Ableton Push is a better choice than the Maschine Mk2 and it would be my choice right now.
    I'm in Europe so I can't fully go into your budget, but looking at the DJTT store you'll stay way under $1500 if you buy a DDJ-SR (I use one with Traktor) and a Push/Mk2. No need to buy a Mikro becuase of budget limitations. You could also look into the Reloop Terminal Mix 8 or Beatmix 4. All of these come with Serato, but there's no reason why they shouldn't work with Traktor. The only downside is that the jogs won't be as responsive as an S4 because of NI's programming of Traktor. This has nothing to do with the actual hardware. It's fine though, it only becomes a problem if you're looking to do extensive scratch routines. As I said, I use an SR with Traktor myself. And if you do want super responsive jogs every once in a while, just load up Serato.

Push would only be a good option if Ableton is the DAW/mixing software. Maschine would be a better option for other DAWs/mixing and also comes with a boatload of software. I love my Push though for production use with Ableton.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

In all honestly and I am not trying to sound like a douche (here it comes) BUT you need to do your own research and figure out what the gear does and what exactly it is you want to do with it, and which gear will work best for your situation. No one here except for you can really answer that question. You said you are passionate about DJing and music production. Being a beginner, you need to focus on 1 thing at a time and learn that software and equipment and then branch out from there.