18th Birthday Gig

Default 18th Birthday Gig

Hi Folks. I'm new to this site and relatively new to Mobile DJ'ing. I've got an 18th Birthday Gig coming up in an upper middle suburb of Melbourne, Australia. I would love to hear any of your song/genre suggestions. Also any suggestions of what not to play. What should I play early? I am not entirely in touch with this age group anymore. Cheers!

Tech Guru

Ask them what they're interested in.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Default 18th Birthday Gig

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Ask them what they're interested in.
    I have. I would like ideas from experienced DJ's too.

Ya, you should honestly ask the person who hired you or is asking you to play. It can vary from rock to rap to dance, there's no secret recipe. It only depends on the crowd he stays with and what they like.

As a retired mobile DJ, truthfully, you should ask what type of music the people want in all scenarios.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Default 18th Birthday

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    As a retired mobile DJ, truthfully, you should ask what type of music the people want in all scenarios.
    Thanks guys, at least all the answers are consistent!! I have asked the client and she is getting back to me.

However, any actual song suggestions would be helpful too!

I'm sure many of you are doing gigs this weekend where you will play songs that the customer hasn't requested but always go well when played to a particular age group. That's the sort of info I'm looking for.