Who do I give mixes to and where could find promoters?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who do I give mixes to and where could find promoters?

I'm a 16 year old DJ and I am really looking to find some gigs outside of local events. I've read many articles that say "give your mixtapes to people, promoters". My question is, where do I find these promoters? Sure in clubs, but I'm not old enough to get into club. I release monthly mixes so I have plenty of content to look through. Any advice?

Your age SHOULDN'T be a problem. When I first started recording mixes i was roughly the same age, and was DJ'ing in lots of clubs in London under age.. THat's an exception, as you're an artist/performer, not a club goer.

As for promotion, look at the events pages on facebook, find the promoter there and message mixes, type names of your favourite DJ/producer on google/twitter (all kinds of social media networks too), ask for emails, tweet them and ask for emails to send mixes.

There is no black and white set way of doing this, you've just got to use your time to search and do what you can do to get peoples attention.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

send promoters tons of messages on facebook with your mixes.

Be Honest, tell them you are a young dj, offer to maybe the first gig for free, so they can see your style.

Search for smaller events that are just getting started, this is a great way to get in on the ground floor of an event that could blow up and be big one day.

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    send promoters tons of messages on facebook with your mixes.
    really? i think this is kinda bad advise since sending them tons of messages with links sounds to me like spamming and nobody wants to be spammed.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

I wouldn't spam mixes to anyone honestly

How you mix at home on your gear says nothing about how you perform to a crowd in a night club

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Grüber View Post
    really? i think this is kinda bad advise since sending them tons of messages with links sounds to me like spamming and nobody wants to be spammed.
    Yeah, don't do that. Send a little message to some promoters on FAcebook, even message them first and say "hey can i send you a mix". Trust me, 99.9%(if not 100%?) of promoters will ignore messages with mixes.

Don't say **BRAND NEW EDM SUPER MIX MASHUP PLEASE LISTEN FREE DOWNLOAD NOW**** in the title either.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Sorry, I didn't word that right, I meant send to tons of DIFFERENT promoters, yeah don't spam anyone! Lol

I'm not going to undermine anyone's post because everyone has their own way of doing things. But since we are on the subject of mixes, don't send any mix to any promoter until you have done the following below. Why? Because you want something from the promoter. Sending a mix only says, give me , give me, give me. What incentive does that promoter have? What have you done for the promoter? How is he/she going to benefit from your measly mixtape (not that your music is bad but just play along) Why must the promoter choose yours over he other 50 that contacted way before you did? Get my point. You have to give give give before you ask. You have to get to know them on a personal level. The idea is to develop a relationship and not just be 1 off jumps to get your rocks on and feel like a dj and repeat the 1 gig chase endlessly.

Here is how you will do it. You don't need a pen or pad, just refer back to this post or take a screen shot. Shall we?

#1- Do you have any nightlife or music related skills to offer such as graphic flyer design, logos, video promo skills for his event?
    #2- Do you have social media/marketing skills where you can help him reach more people? (recognition via association- remember that)
    #3- Do you have anything, anything you can think of that would help his business? Do you have any contacts he could use?
    #4- Do you have older friends that you can send to his event on your behalf to show support?
    #5- Do you know the djs associated with the promoters and are you getting in with them and also offering #s 1-4 for the dj?
    #6- Do you know know anyone or even where to begin? If not, worry about that first.

I will tell you a secret. This is the same way I am now in relations with dancetrippin tv's founder. I just connected him to someone I know for a huge project. Nothing in return for me now. But when I need something, it won't be to hard to ask

Tech Wizard

I think colione98 has the correct approach to this matter. It's case of patience continue network with people you would like work with. Let them get to know you the person, because as a DJ the music is not your product, you are the product/service.

One general piece of advice I've heard is to think like a promoter. They are business people/entrepreneurs and are likely to care more about getting people into the club and making money than how wonderful of a DJ you are, although your skills will certainly play into their business success. colione98's points above play to this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast