Purchasing Older Tracks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Purchasing Older Tracks

Hey everyone!

Got a question.

If I purchase an older track from lets say 1997 in the genre of Techno, what choice should I made when I can pick the encoding type for the best quality? Assuming that the original track was never encoded that high, is everything re-encoded for show?

Beatport offers 320 bit,.Wav and .Aiff and Junodownload only offers 192, 320, and .wav.

Thanks in advance!

-A

Buy .wav, and convert as necessary.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by minuseven View Post
    If I purchase an older track from lets say 1997 in the genre of Techno, what choice should I made when I can pick the encoding type for the best quality? Assuming that the original track was never encoded that high, is everything re-encoded for show?

Beatport offers 320 bit,.Wav and .Aiff and Junodownload only offers 192, 320, and .wav.
    .WAV and .AIFF are lossless, uncompressed audio, which is the best quality. (Boomkat and Bleep offer FLAC which is lossless compressed audio, also best quality.)

320 cbr is the best quality MP3. V0 is the best compromise in sound quality and compression (file size.)

192 cbr is considered the lowest point before sound quality starts to be noticeable. MP3s at 160, 128 cbr are considered poor quality.

Not sure what you mean by "assuming the original track was never encoded that high..." though.

Tech Mentor

Think he means if the original encode was not at a high bit rate or recorded at lower fidelity to begin with.

The best way to think of it is the same way you would scan or photocopy a picture. You can never improve the quality of the original work, but scanning at the highest bitrate will yield the best duplication of the original.

I'd say nothing worse than 320, but opt for a lossless format if your storage space permits. You can always archive and re-encode at 320 later on.

There have been a lot of digital re-releases and re-masters for the older stuff. I'd go wav/aiff if you have the space.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

I'm a bit confused here. Is the OP suggesting that all 'older' music is going to have been rendered in a format that would be an inferior sound quality to MP3?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

The original track will have originally been either a 16bit audio track or vinyl pressing, higher quality than any MP3. So you should be buying WAV.

However I've picked up a few "classics" on itunes and Beatport that were either badly EQ'd or Ripped (badly) from vinyl without any "modern" re-prosessing and needed some additional work to fit side by side into newer stuff.

Tech Mentor

Had that problem too. Some of the older tracks lacked drive. Figured they were either ripped poorly or we wer just used to new producers who slam the dynamics out of a track to make it the loudest
    I find myself reworking a lot of them... Mostly adding some low end because it seems to lack in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    However I've picked up a few "classics" on itunes and Beatport that were either badly EQ'd or Ripped (badly) from vinyl without any "modern" re-prosessing and needed some additional work to fit side by side into newer stuff.
    Definitely. I know of one label who lost their masters for their earliest stuff so when they re-released digital versions they had to source the tracks from the vinyl records.

I've run across stuff on Beatport that's been ripped terribly with digital artifacts throughout the song. I've heard of people finding lossy transcodes as well, suggesting the artist/label just uploaded some old MP3s he found laying about.

There's still a massive amount of stuff that's vinyl only and doesn't look like there's ever going to be digital re-issues, which I find a bit sad. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

...sorry, channeling Blade Runner there.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchwerks View Post
    All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

...sorry, channeling Blade Runner there.

On a more constructive note.....Discogs is whre i got all my old classics.

Hours and hours and......hours of searching.

In most cases i have found that the tunes are out there in cd format somewhere.....even if they were released on some obscure compilation album on some dodgy backstreet label from Uzbekistan, they are out there.

Search, search and search again.

Matt.
    Last edited by Mattalik; 07-22-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    2 x CDJ2000 Nexus, 2x Technics 1210 M5G, 2 x Technics 1210 Mk2, Allen & Heath DB4, 15" Macbook Pro Retina, Traktor A10....And A Shitload Of Records!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast