How is this Dj'ing?
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How is this Dj'ing?

HI all,

I have a genuine question, and in no way am i trying to knock or insult anybody.

But.......

I have been staring at this picture for 10-15 minutes trying to understand something....

How is this Dj'ing?

I understand that there is more to dj'ing than just beatmatching, but i think that is a basic skill that all "DJ's" should have in their arsenal.
    I can't see how you can just push buttons, and call it djing. Kinda takes the fun out of right? No? Just me then...?

I just don't get it, can you help me understand?
    Last edited by tekki; 07-22-2014 at 03:57 PM.
    2 x CDJ2000 Nexus, 2x Technics 1210 M5G, 2 x Technics 1210 Mk2, Allen & Heath DB4, 15" Macbook Pro Retina, Traktor A10....And A Shitload Of Records!

Tech Guru

Staring at a picture isn't going to help you understand anything. Watch some videos of that kind of setup in use.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

What's with all the negativity? Different people enjoy different things, including ways of DJing and genres.

Tech Wizard

Whats to say you couldn't beatmatch with this setup? the only thing you cant do with this that you can do with platters is scratch.

Tech Mentor

I can beatmatch, still do from time to time with an X1 though mostly I sync now. Why sync? Because it frees me up to do so much more, a point Ritchie Hawtin made here:
    For example I can do live re-edits of songs, loop sections to overlay other songs, add FX to taste...etc. I work harder now as a DJ than I ever did with vinyl or CDs.

I used to be a blowhard and think digital DJing was dumb and took no skill until I setup a DJM 850 with 2 X1's and I loved it. There are different ways of doing it. You can still manually beatmatch without having a CDJ style platter.

How is it not DJing? Everything an old school DJ could do with his/her setup back in the day is represented there. There's just a lot more now.

How one uses it is another thing, but if you're sitting there staring at that picture worrying about how other people DJ with that rig, you might want to find a good TV show to get addicted to or something.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Thing is...this is not like traditional DJing...but the output is just the same. You make a noise and you like it and you like how you did it.

With that kind of setup you can make a sound that you simply cannot reproduce with vinyl. And there in lies the secret. You may still enjoy the act of DJing with that kind of setup in the same way that a Formula 1 driver can enjoy driving a rally car. Different vehicle, but driving and going fast nonetheless.

I'm an old (very old) school vinyl DJ and I love messing with controllers. Try it, you might just like what it enables you to do.

Oh and I take it you have looked around DJTechTools yeah? It's kinda controller heavy which is why your question is probably getting some carefully worded responses.

Let's keep it classy up in here ladies

Tech Mentor

Seems like the best thing would be to ask:

Pete Tong
    Luciano
    David Morales
    Danny Tenaglia
    Felix Da Housecat
    and Dubfire...
    Plus Hawtin as above.

They seem to think it's DJing.

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast