No gear, No money
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default No gear, No money

Howdy Guys,

I have no money or gear (except for a pair of technics RPDH1200s and a macbook pro )

However in the near future I will be purchasing gear etc.

Is there anything I can do now to get myself ready to DJ or improve any skills that I will need when I actually start physically DJing?

Cheeeers

no money? u don´t need money! diy is the key!
    --->
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Wizard

haha earl-panda, if only I had any knowledge about controllers and midi mapping...

u just have to asign some functions of any dj software to a keyboard and there u have it...lable that keyboard with the function the key should do...

Tech Wizard

you make it sound so easy :P i'm guessing there's some tutorials on here showing how to do it..

looks like a good project for summer

why not visit one of our perth midi experts? bentosan our guy with them massive posts could help u if u ask him..but he won´t be available, cause he lives in djtt-wonderland

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Get a cheap mixer off of ebay and a few records and spin. Learn about beatmatching, mixing, eq, etc. Learn the basic techniques so when you get the software you can dig in and learn the tech side of it to merge them together and become a super DJ awesome star.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

knowledge is free if you have the internet learning midi can be very beneficial in the future.

but yeah i'd go with a cheap mixer, a couple vinyls, and teach yourself how to beatmatch if you don't know already.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

My keyboard didn't look as "professional" as pandas when i got started i just used double sided tape a vivid marker! point is its a good starting point and mapping a keyboard is a lot easier than a controller. what i did is basically get started and added functions (and stickers) as i needed them.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by moomentum View Post
    Is there anything I can do now to get myself ready to DJ or improve any skills that I will need when I actually start physically DJing?
    Heres some free dj software to get you started if you dont have any as of yet:
    http://www.mixxx.org/

And if you havent done so already:

1. Buy music that you like, as well as music that has a proven track record to wreck dancefloors, not just because its charted by Dj such-n-such (charts can be useful reference points to guide you in music selection, but they can also just be hype tools for music that isnt that good, but generates sales due to charting, so be careful). Technical skill (beatmatching, juggling, etc) are good to know, but not absolutely essential to giving folks a fun time. Cracking good music and knowing when to drop it is key, technical skillsets are the icing on the cake.

How do you know what is good music and when to drop it?

2. Get out to parties/ functions that play the kind of music you like. Get to these events early and watch how the djs setup/ soundcheck, etc. Take the chance if you get an opening to ask questions, but keep in mind some djs are finicky about who approaches them (some are just in "another world", some are paranoid about being trainspotted, some having their music stolen, and some are just plain ole divas). Then get out of their way and absorb how they unfold the night through their music.

3. Dancers can give you good feedback on how the djs are doing, so try to observe their reactions to the music that is played during the course of the night:

if there are a decent amount of folks on the floor during most of the night, the djs are doing their job,

if dancers rotate off and on the floor. but the the floor is never sparce during the course of the night, the djs are doing their job,

if the floor is jammed packed full of folks most of the night the djs are out of their minds (course, the bar might not be very happy about a full dancefloor and empty barstools),

if the dance floor is sparce the course of the night, then you need to figure out if:
    a. its a normally slow night
    b. its a sports bar, and the big game is on, so no one is dancing
    c. the wrong djs are playing that night (Infer what you will from this)

4. Get to know the folks that throw the parties. If you can, volunteer to help with their events. Folks tend to remember you more when you help contribute in making their nights successful; not all of them do, but enough of them do

5. Become a regular at the clubs/ venues that throw parties or play music you can relate to. Be nice to the doorstaff, coat-check folks, and especially the bar crew (as in, always tip, even if all youre getting is a water or a soft drink). These folks also will remember you as time goes on, and tend to open up a li bit and share some valuable things with you about the club, such as what nights are poppin, what nights are slow, types of crowd that come in on given nights, type of music the club is known for, etc.

6. Repeat steps 1 to 5 as often and soon as possible.
    Last edited by usdm; 10-23-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast