novice DJ - CDJ-1000's and controlling with laptop (Mac)

Default novice DJ - CDJ-1000's and controlling with laptop (Mac)

hello all, novice DJ'er looking for some clarity on how Pioneer CDJ-1000's can be used with a laptop.

I have 2 CDJ-1000's and a DJM-700. I want to control / use this setup from a Mac but getting mixed info about whether this is possible, use of audio cards, Serato, Traktor, control CD's. Lot of the info looks old so seeking bit of advice on the current position.

This is for for personal use, not club use yet, just want a working setup to practice on.

Thanks.

Tech Guru

You can do it using timecode, then you will need timecode CDs, a soundcard and a DJ software.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Unfortunately, the 1000s are not midi/hid, so you'll need timecode CDs and a compatible sound card like Daniboy said. Mixxx and Virtual DJ can use any brand of soundcard/timecodes whereas Traktor/Serato will need brand specific/certified versions of each. BUT, your DJM-700 is *mostly* midi mappable to run as an internal mixer. But it'd be smoother with less latency (most likely) to run it analog and run timecodes through a certified soundcard.
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)