First paid gig! Advice needed!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First paid gig! Advice needed!

I'm aware this is a bit of a silly question, but I'm about to go in for my first paid gig. I've played out before, but never for actual money - usually for my mates for food or drink.

Anyways, it's a house party and the gig is about three and a half hours long. I don't know how much to charge, so I guess I should ask how much you guys would charge for a comparable gig? I don't want to be any more expensive than any possible competition, but at the same time I don't want to undervalue or undercut myself.

Any help would be massively appreciated - or any advice in general!
    DJ|Producer|Actor
    SOUNDCLOUD
    ACTING

Tech Mentor

Have you asked them what they want to pay you? That should always be your first point. And from there at, you could always ask them if they'll book you if do it for 20-30-40-50% more? If they say yes or no you can still add variables (free drink, food, guests, etc).

Hey @Student,

Cheers for the tip. I hadn't thought of that very good idea.
    DJ|Producer|Actor
    SOUNDCLOUD
    ACTING

50-100$ per hour. I would never ask how much they're willing to pay. If I'm you right now, I would ask for $50 an hour and if they want extra equipment like smoke machine, lights, etc, then I'd add the renting price of the equipment.

Tech Mentor

Robby, I don't think you can charge so much for a first gig. I would say 25 cent per customer per hour, but that's just my 2 cents.

Tech Guru

Don't ask per customer per hour though... get a flat amount.

I really doubt they're keeping track of how many people are coming in.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

make sure you have some security, or say goodbye to your gear (houseparty)
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

NEVER base your rate on how many customers are there. It's a house party, what if they only invite 10 people and only 5 show up, how is that your problem? Unless you are being paid to promote, and your pay is based on people in the door, always give a flat rate. I would say since this is your first paying gig, and you are new to DJing that charging $150 for 3 hours is a good starting point. Not $50 an hour, $150 for 3 hours, if they want you to stay longer, well now its $100 an hour for overtime. Time is money. They don't do their job for free, why should you? Don't under value yourself and your time and don't worry about the so called competition. You do your thing, most people understand "you get what you pay for" if they only want to pay you $50 then politely decline, you paid your dues playing for food and drink, now it's time to get what you're worth.

Tech Mentor

I didnt mean charge per person, but use it as a guideline so you know how much to ask. If there are a 100 people he can ask around 25€ per hour. But always aak a flat fee ofcourse. And def make sure that you have clear and written down agreements concerning the safety of your gear if you bring your own.

Ok guys, some really good ideas and advice here. Thanks @dj matt blaze for the overtime idea.
    I'm currently in contact with the client and will let y'all know how it works out
    DJ|Producer|Actor
    SOUNDCLOUD
    ACTING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast