Echo AudioFire 2 suddenly not being detected by my computer, during a gig! Help pleas

Default Echo AudioFire 2 suddenly not being detected by my computer, during a gig! Help pleas

I'm in the club right now, people will start arriving any minute, and my sound card isn't working! I have it hooked up to my computer through my firewire slot (MacBook Pro), and the light is on the sound card, but my computer isn't detecting the card (either in system preferences or in Traktor). Again, the light is on, so it's receiving power from my computer, just not picking up. Whatttt!!!

Anyone have any ideas what's up? I've checked the Echo website but nothing... I can run the sound out of my headphone jack but I'd like to be able to headphone cue obviously.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

That's scary man:eek:

Anyone have any ideas about what's wrong?
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer

Tech Mentor

Default Audiofire

Ive had this problem happen to me twice.

Usually it was a result of me somehow physically disconnecting the soundcard while my computer was powered on.

Its seriously a head trip in a gig situation....anyways my immediate responce was to keep restarting my computer. But my computer would still fail to recognize it.

So I found that I had to unplug my Audiofire (then plug it back in) while it was still plugged into my computer and do a computer restart (sometimes 2 restarts).

I recreated the problem at home too and this solution worked for me.

Also it might be a good idea to keep the Audiofire driver in a folder in your computer. Becuase whan all else fails you could always just reinstall the driver....

Also I would always make sure that once your computer recognizes the Audiofire, make sure it is ALWAYS plugged into your computer BEFORE starting your computer (always in the same slot) and also make sure NOT to dissconnect the Audiofire before shutting your computer down.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by thictool; 10-25-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Tech Mentor

did you encounter the same problem when running the audiofire with external power supply? Sometimes this does the trick for unstable USB powered devices.

I also used to have the audiofire 2 and had occasional drop outs because the original Firewire cable just didn't connect very well (physically) and reacted to the slightest movements of the laptop.

Tech Mentor

Its not possible to run the audiofire2 without a external power source.

Tech Mentor

Its not possible to run the audiofire2 without a external power source.
    oh and I always thought that was just my crappy pc mini firewire port

hang on, I've been using the audiofire2 without external power source and it run just fine, no drop outs whatsoever...

I've tried the whole restarting thing, using the DC adapter and using a different FireWire cable, but nothing works. I even tested the cables with another FireWire device, and the other device works just fine.

Ahh!!! Contacted Echo, what they recommended did not help at all. Awaiting another reply from them; if they still can't help, I hope they'll let me send it in or something. I don't remember purchasing a warranty, though.

Luckily I can mix just fine with auto-sync, without needing to headphone cue, but I like being able to preview a track if I don't remember what it sounds like, and sometimes TPro screws up the grids so I need to mix manually if I haven't fixed them beforehand.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer