Beat griding
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beat griding

Tech Convert

Default Beat griding

Hi everyone!

Decided to beat grid all my track (at last got the courage to do it) in Taktor...

I am find some track that are made in for ex. 124.113 and it looks fine but when i adjust to 124 everything gets messed up.. i starts with grids on the beats and goes out of the beat after the first break.. and so on.
    When i adjust the beat grid into position, the start falls apart.

Is it like that some tracks are just ment to be 124.113 and it cannot be adjusted?

And the other thing is, a few tracks that is 126 BPM gets detected as 186, is there anyway to fix that? ofc i cant BM yet so no comments on that..

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TechDozer View Post
    Hi everyone!

Decided to beat grid all my track (at last got the courage to do it) in Taktor...

I am find some track that are made in for ex. 124.113 and it looks fine but when i adjust to 124 everything gets messed up.. i starts with grids on the beats and goes out of the beat after the first break.. and so on.
    When i adjust the beat grid into position, the start falls apart.

Is it like that some tracks are just ment to be 124.113 and it cannot be adjusted?

And the other thing is, a few tracks that is 126 BPM gets detected as 186, is there anyway to fix that? ofc i cant BM yet so no comments on that..
    Some tracks have strange BPMs so it is not impossible that a track is exacly 124.113.

Something that can happen is a track having an unstable BPM, so it changes the BPM on one or more points. To correct that you can use softwares like Ableton to edit the tracks and make the BPM stable from the beginning to the end, do some youtube searching about warping tracks.

If the detection is clearly wrong you can change the BPM on the "grid" section below the decks.

The right BPM is the one that beats in perfect sync with the metronome from the beginning to the end. Don't trust the software, neither your eyes, simply use them to make your ear's job easier.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

I've seen this a few times as well and I don't really understand how electronic music that is made digitally can have anything other than a whole number for its BPM.

The only time I can understand it is when I've ripped a vinyl to my harddrive on a shitty turntable so the BPM wasn't stable. Other than that though I don't get it.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:34 PM.

when in doubt, tap it out
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

its strange I bought a load of late 90's early 00's trance last week from juno and not a single one had a perfect beat structure, all of them moved around off grid close enough to still sound ok or need a little nudge here and there but i find it difficult to believe that all of them were like this, 50 odd tracks. I am wondering if they are a vinyl rip or something.

How does tapping work? Should you:

1) Delete existing Grid
    2) Tap the tempo
    3) Set first Beat marker?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TechDozer View Post
    Tracks with a live drummer can be all sorts of bpm's.

It is possible that even if the track was created with a drum machine, that in the final mastering the tempo was adjusted "by ear" or to bump something into key or for some other reason.

This is why it is important to check the grid.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Most likely the older tracks were ripped from vinyl which is the most likely culprit for them not being a whole BPM number.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Convert

Thanks for the responses, will try to warp it up and see how that goes
    mostly older tracks that has these differences but they are like couple years old and bought on BP.. all tracks from 2014 looks fine just a few with 001 difference.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast