Serato Scratch Live, auto gain problems

Default Serato Scratch Live, auto gain problems

I just starting using Serato a couple of weeks ago and I started noticing that the autogain isn't super reliable. Is it just me? Is there a trick to get it more accurate? It's currently at 92db. I analyze each song, and the ones that our too loud, I reanalyzed and they remained the same.

Any tips?

Tech Mentor

I don't have experience with SSL, but almost if not all dj software have inaccurate auto gain features. I'd say use gain manually, then you know it's good and it only takes a few seconds anyway. If you don't have gain knobs you can use the line faders. Not perfect, but it works.

I never trust auto gain especially with the varying levels of compression through out the years, I've just got in the habit of when I do prep work of setting the internal gain of the track to peak at just below 0db on the mixer channel with the gain at 12.

Especially if you're ever fucking with more then 2 channels it's worth the extra work, gotta keep that gain in check or sounds like shit

If you are using a mixer, turn autogain off. The gain knobs and cue buttons are there for a reason
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    I've just got in the habit of when I do prep work of setting the internal gain of the track to peak at just below 0db on the mixer channel with the gain at 12.
    Doesn't the song clip that way? If I do that, it goes in the red.

And ya, I know, I used to use the gain knobs, until I decided not to LOL since I got Serato to be honest, which was 2 months ago. I'll return to old habits.

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    Doesn't the song clip that way? If I do that, it goes in the red.

And ya, I know, I used to use the gain knobs, until I decided not to LOL since I got Serato to be honest, which was 2 months ago. I'll return to old habits.

no thats the point, you set it so that the loudest part of the song never goes above 0db on the mixer.

Yes, if I am playing cdj + mixer (which is what I play out) I always fast foward my track to the drop & have it so it is at the top end of my green right before it hits yellow before I cue it in to mix.

This way your tracks are set to the same volume levels and you don't get a WTF look due to your volume levels. When I mix at home with traktor + controller I don't really worry about it but if I am using cdj + mixer (with traktor) home or not , I will always work my gains.

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    no thats the point, you set it so that the loudest part of the song never goes above 0db on the mixer.
    I always set my gain to hit the highest yellow, right before the red. Someone once told me that a good reference would be to hit the highest green with the bass completely cut off. From your previous post, you mentioned not going in the yellow at all... have I been doing this wrong for the last couple of year? lol

Tech Mentor

As stated above, no software gets it right all the time. I've found the autogain in Traktor to be equally hit & miss.

Any tracks which are way off, just tweak the onscreen gain control. That will save automatically, so you only have to do it once for each track.