Protecting you hearing
    Tech Wizard

Default Protecting you hearing

I posted this in the recent article on in ear DJ Monitors, but think this is the right place to hopefully get some answers....If anyone has seen Its all gone Pete Tong, that's pretty much what I would like to avoid

I had a pair of Elacin molded ear plugs a few years ago but I struggled to perform up to the standard I was used to, as I play everything & have to be vocal on the mic during the night I really found it hard to speak on the mic without it feeling/sounding weird.

It was like I was talking with cotton wool in my ears, or as if I was underwater, so after a few weeks I ditched them. I tried taking the plugs out when I was talking and putting them back in after but this was a lot of hassle.

I really want to use some sort of ear protection as often get tinnitus at the end of a night (luckily so far it goes), but playing out 5 nights a week is damaging my ears so need to find a solution.

anyone else with this problem? any solutions welcome!

Tech Mentor

I've been wondering about this problem, & this might be the soulution.

http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/MA400.aspx

Route both your mic & your soundcard headphone output in to this, then pass the mic signal on to the club mixer as normal.

You can then mix in as much mic signal in to the headphone output as you want.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Refer to the article on the front page - and go for in-ear monitors. Not cheap for good ones, and even less cheap if you go wireless, but a good way to save your hearing.
    17" MBP:2.66Ghz i7 8Gb| Traktor Pro 2|Live 8 Suite
    Novation Twitch & LaunchPad|M-Audio Oxygen 25
    Presonus FireStudio Mobile|Shure 315's|Yamaha HS50M's
    "“beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3."-deadmau5

Tech Wizard

but i'm pretty sure with in ear monitors, i'll have the same underwater/muffled/cotton wool in ear issue, i guess i'll just have to take them out when using the mic.

Tech Wizard

Ian, only just seen your post, I bet it will feel weird, but worth a try as i'm getting ringing in my ears on a regular basis in fact my right ear is ringing now from last nights gig

Cheers for the info!