“I wish house music made these people feel the way it makes us feel” - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Unfortunately many people are just sheep, if they don't know it they don't like it and theres no changing that attitute unless you put them in a room with 1000 other people who do like it and then suddenly their tune changes

That is so very, very true! Even if there's a few people at the front loving it, others see whats happening and get involved. I think house is definitely about the context and atmosphere that it creates and just pulls people in. The next time the converted go to a place and house is getting played, they repeat and more are drawn in.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

I will tell you what the problem is- the funk in music is gone in dj sets. Its still being made but not being played. Tech house and techno is not really danceable can't really be choreographed the way vocal deep, latin, and percussive tribal funk can be. There is not enough diversity at many venues ever since the EDM craze came about and the counter of techno/dark deep house with haunting vibes. If blacks and latinos are not part of the party, its not diverse.

Also, djs are not pairing their music properly. Djs don't understand that you should not be playing 4AM Space Miami after-hours music at 12AM in a house room inside of a top40 club where people go in and out of hip hop and latin rooms. You can't play straight techno or anything extreme their. Yet, this "I am underground" elitist approach, which is fakery and faking the funk btw, has taken over. Everyone is wearing underground t-shirts. Its fake because if you are underground, you don't need to tell the world much less have it written on your t-shirt.

Too much extreme music and not enough funk and groove. EDM events are just as bad as underground events as the music, although good in many ways, I love all music- but many EDM and today's underground sets are stale and non-changing. Its all edm for 2-3 hours or straight techno/deep for 4 hours at a main club. Before the nights would go from deep and progress to after-hours. it was a journey and people knew to come at certain times. Now, its flat-lined.

In the video, the music isn't bad. But not everyone "gets" it and its not something that can relate to people as a whole. If you are out with your girl that isn't a "house head", she will be bored to death. But younger djs are playing this more and more at main rooms at clubs and managers screaming at them to play more vocals for the ladies. I see it personally. Its this fakery. You can play it but the right place and time. Not at a club that normally plays EDM/top40?????!!@@##$$%

That is what is hurting the scene- trying to feed radio heads the extreme forms of dance and trying to be cool. They are not by force feeding. It can't work. You can't feed me raw veggies but I will eat them in some good oriental sauce. Its a process that takes conditioning.

Banned

Well most of the people here in Asia are Asian so according to that logic we are hopeless.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Its all edm for 2-3 hours or straight techno/deep for 4 hours at a main club. Before the nights would go from deep and progress to after-hours. it was a journey and people knew to come at certain times. Now, its flat-lined.
    A) You are going to the wrong clubs
    B) Those wrong clubs are booking the wrong DJ's
    C) The issue at hand existed a long time before the current EDM scene, and will happen forever after, its just something that happens. You cant please all the people all the time, most of the time you can please enough of the bad eggs that the few idiots don't make a difference.

Some people however are not happy unless they know literally every track being played and will bitch and moan and make your night a PITA.

If blacks and latinos are not part of the party, its not diverse.
    Racist Much, even if meant as a compliment

Quote Originally Posted by colione98 View Post
    I will tell you what the problem is- the funk in music is gone in dj sets. Its still being made but not being played. Tech house and techno is not really danceable...
    I'm just going to say the same thing I said to you last time. That's just like your opinion, man. And you have a very strange opinion if you feel that tech house and techno aren't danceable.

That video doesn't really back your point up there mate, Its the mixmag lab where people showcase the sound they play/mix, not a club setting. I get your point about EDM (or chart dance music really) being stale and like any music genre stale if constantly played at a night. However, i've yet to be in a run of the mill Top 40/Chart club that hasn't covered all sorts of genre's.

I don't know what parties you're going to, but they must be the wrong underground events. Check out PBR streetgang. Not mainstream, playing funky stuff and they've definitely fit the music to the event and people are loving it.

A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I will tell you what the problem is- the funk in music is gone in dj sets. Its still being made but not being played. Tech house and techno is not really danceable can't really be choreographed the way vocal deep, latin, and percussive tribal funk can be. There is not enough diversity at many venues ever since the EDM craze came about and the counter of techno/dark deep house with haunting vibes. If blacks and latinos are not part of the party, its not diverse.

Also, djs are not pairing their music properly. Djs don't understand that you should not be playing 4AM Space Miami after-hours music at 12AM in a house room inside of a top40 club where people go in and out of hip hop and latin rooms. You can't play straight techno or anything extreme their. Yet, this "I am underground" elitist approach, which is fakery and faking the funk btw, has taken over. Everyone is wearing underground t-shirts. Its fake because if you are underground, you don't need to tell the world much less have it written on your t-shirt.

Too much extreme music and not enough funk and groove. EDM events are just as bad as underground events as the music, although good in many ways, I love all music- but many EDM and today's underground sets are stale and non-changing. Its all edm for 2-3 hours or straight techno/deep for 4 hours at a main club. Before the nights would go from deep and progress to after-hours. it was a journey and people knew to come at certain times. Now, its flat-lined.

In the video, the music isn't bad. But not everyone "gets" it and its not something that can relate to people as a whole. If you are out with your girl that isn't a "house head", she will be bored to death. But younger djs are playing this more and more at main rooms at clubs and managers screaming at them to play more vocals for the ladies. I see it personally. Its this fakery. You can play it but the right place and time. Not at a club that normally plays EDM/top40?????!!@@##$$%

That is what is hurting the scene- trying to feed radio heads the extreme forms of dance and trying to be cool. They are not by force feeding. It can't work. You can't feed me raw veggies but I will eat them in some good oriental sauce. Its a process that takes conditioning.
    Honestly I feel sorry for you if you actually believe all that.

PBR Streetgang posted above are a good example of something that is EVERYWHERE in the UK and something similar to what I play and go to listen to.

There are so many DJ's playing good soulful, funky, dubby house in the UK it's laughable to think that:
    A. The dance scene is full of shit.
    B. That it's underground these days.

I have read most of your posts and I find that you have a very skewed view of the world, using terms like "the blacks" and "the gays" (a different post).

I wish you would stop trying to give people lessons and maybe tried to break out of the narrow field of experience you seem to reflect.

I mean no disrespect at all but I do not agree with you on anything at all.

I will tell you what the problem is- the funk in music is gone in dj sets.
    Worst quote on the internet.

If blacks and latinos are not part of the party, its not diverse.
    Unbelievable, bordering on racist.

Also, djs are not pairing their music properly.
    Speak for yourself. This is a ridiculous statement.

play more vocals for the ladies.
    Sexist crap.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 08-05-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Tech Wizard

I'm not a good producer and not even a good dj. Just average DJ and a kinda bad producer. But I tried everytime to put my feelings on my music. Too bad that this is not valid even in the underground places here in my area.

People go to mainstream places to see the top DJ's and producers (Victor Ruiz, Alok, Amine Edge & DANCE... I'm not saying I like nor dislike them) and to use drugs. People go to some raves and private parties to see their friends and use drugs.

I'm so tired to see all DJ's only use those BIG ASS BASS songs, even on the Warm Up sets. That's why I'm quitting DJing and producing and forming a band (again).

People who plays a instrument dedicate their time on learning a song and reproducing it's part. After this stage, they'll join up and practice together, to be cohesive as a band, match levels and so on. After this, to play live. I'm not even citing original songs, just cover ones. So, we gonna jam Thrice - Deadbolt because it's so energetic and means so much for all members of the band that it's a great time for everyone, even the people that just go there to mosh and pick up fights.

The song must have energy, feelings and time put into it to be remembered by those who listen to it.

That's why I can't produce "Hits" anymore. It seems so artificial to produce Gangsta House because that's that what they play here. I already tried but I can't do this. I already produced tech house, hip hop, prog house, deep house, EDM, dubstep... because it felt right at the time. I felt the music in my heart and in my brain and tried to reproduce it on Ableton. But it doesn't work like that on real life.

Unless you are Moby, and be underground forever.

That's why I'll form a band again, no restrictions on music. I can play hardcore rock and go to full slow emotional songs about ex's and another one feel like a punch directly in the brain citing racial prejudice.

Wish all the songs were deep as this one... Unfortunately they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by chicomodo View Post
    I'm not a good producer and not even a good dj. Just average DJ and a kinda bad producer. But I tried everytime to put my feelings on my music. Too bad that this is not valid even in the underground places here in my area.

That's why I can't produce "Hits" anymore. It seems so artificial to produce Gangsta House because that's that what they play here. I already tried but I can't do this. I already produced tech house, hip hop, prog house, deep house, EDM, dubstep... because it felt right at the time. I felt the music in my heart and in my brain and tried to reproduce it on Ableton. But it doesn't work like that on real life.

That's why I'll form a band again, no restrictions on music. I can play hardcore rock and go to full slow emotional songs about ex's and another one feel like a punch directly in the brain citing racial prejudice.
    More people like you are needed in the music industry. But I'd say if you were just trying to produce "hits" maybe your heart wasn't in the right place at that time?

Anyway, make the music you want to make, the music that you feel. People may "feel it" or they may not - it really doesn't matter. All that matters is that you "feel it." At least, that's my opinion.

And you can always DJ as a hobby, playing music you love and feel. That's pretty much what I do. Likes and followers on soundcloud are nice and all, but if you don't like what I play or produce that's fine - I didn't do it for you in the first place. I shared it sure, because maybe someone out there will feel it like I do, or maybe in a different way, but if they feel it, cool. And if not, that's cool too.

There's a helluva lot of people out there that think the Mona Lisa is a crap painting, and plenty of people think it's absolutely brilliant. That's just how art works.

Anyways, best wishes on your musical journey.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicomodo View Post
    Wish all the songs were deep as this one... Unfortunately they are not.

Very few dance groups (Crazy P are a live band) are as good as the track you posted. Crazy P (and Crazy Penis as they were before) are amazing live. Danielle has one of the best voices I have ever heard and she's an amazing front person.

If you dig on Crazy P then check the back catalogue of Paper Recordings and the newer PaperDisco.

This is my fave Paper Recordings release (showing my age) that I bought when it was released.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast