Edm?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edm?

Banned

Default Edm?

I'm a bit confused about EDM as a genre. Out of nowhere I started seeing it here in Japan and I thought it just meant what it sounds like and thought, "Well that covers just about all things doesn't it," but would "pop edm" but a more accurate way to describe it in terms an older person would understand? Or would units like Daft Punk or older albums like Donna Summers be considered EDM?

Its a term to prevent americans getting confused *ducks*
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

EDM stands for Electronic Dance Music. So EDM should be anything that's electronic music that you can dance to. Some pop would be considered EDM. I would also say Daft Punk makes EDM. But I mean, there's sub-genres, and you can get more specific. I would never make a playlist called "EDM". I would do a House playlist, Dubstep, Pop, Hip-Hop, Progressive House...

Banned

I'm aware of the sub-genres but confused why I'm seeing all these DJs saying they hate EDM, like isn't that what you're playing?

Tech Guru

It's because this is too hard to pronounce.

Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

EDM has taken on the meaning, at least in the US for the "top 40" house - progressive/electro/big room/beatport top 10 type songs.

And as an American, I agree with Jester.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Banned

Thanks. Now I understand.

"EDM" is not a genre. It is a generalisation.

REAL genres ARE NOT sub-genres of "EDM".

It takes ZERO effort to proclaim yourself an "EDM" fan.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

The term EDM is a product of festival culture. Promoters needed a term to lump together all the DJs they bring and decided since all the DJs drop electronically produced beats that people dance to, hey, let's call it electronic dance music! Because really, there's nothing else the different genres share. Trance, house, dubstep, drum & bass, techno, etc. all have different cultures and sounds and the only way promoters managed to lump them all together to make as much money as possible is strip down all their different histories and cultures and present us with a stupid and meaningless term that means fuck all.

But a lot of people refer to electro, big-room house as EDM, because that's the mainstream sound of festival culture.

Banned

Up till this year I never saw it to be honest and now when I see a list of DJs some will list what they play as house or techno like one would expect and then right next to them will be a DJ and EDM so I was just trying to understand why. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast