CDs as promos | streams & downloads are now more convenient
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CDs as promos | streams & downloads are now more convenient

I'm thinking of handing out printed color CDs as promos with some scan codes on them allowing peeps to link to mixes or www if they prefer. I did printed CDs when I played house and indie electronic music about 5+ years ago but I'm not sure how effective CDs might be now. I'd like to hear from anyone that's done this recently.
    Equip: 1200's, mixer, Traktor, & Traktor Kontrollers
    mixcloud www.mixcloud.com/modernrockmix

At events/festivals, I've seen CD's handed out. It's probably good marketing for those kinds of things. Truthfully, I still haven't listened to the two I picked up when I last attended something and saw CD's. I follow the cats on soundcloud though based on the info on their promo CD sleeves.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

I'm sure I'm somewhat of a standout but I no longer own an optical disc drive. If I ever need one for some reason I can borrow one from work for the day but that hasn't actually happened.

Thanks for the feed back @ImNotDeadYet. I'm debating whether or not to invest in CDs. I understand CDs are not so commonplace anymore which is why I'm thinking of putting QR codes on the disc. However I recently was handed a CD and excitedly listened to it during my commute. Also something I wasn't doing 5 years ago since I would get so many of them.

I found out that handing someone a physical copy of a mix (rather than a card with a link to a download) gets people to listen to your music. Personally, having a new soundtrack for the ride home after a fun-filled night is a great thing to have and to remember you by. Making CD's is not as expensive as they used to be. A good CD printer can be found <$100 and you can but 100 pack of printable CD's for $20.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

I use to own a CD Printer/ Recorder with a robotic. i got great use out of it as I also did CD print jobs for other local DJs. I was thinking of investing in one again or maybe buying large quantity of manufactured/printed recordable CDs. @EliotHan where did you get your stickers and postcards printed?

Quote Originally Posted by twistedpickles View Post
    I use to own a CD Printer/ Recorder with a robotic. i got great use out of it as I also did CD print jobs for other local DJs. I was thinking of investing in one again or maybe buying large quantity of manufactured/printed recordable CDs. @EliotHan where did you get your stickers and postcards printed?
    I found a great deal on stickers through https://stickerguy.com/ ... the turn around time is long but for the quality and quantity you get for the price, it is well worth it.

As for the business cards, I use vistaprint (but I upload my own .png file).

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Default Before I start a New Thread

I live in new york and I have tried the CD method of getting my stuff heard but in the end nobody really adds me on soundcloud or listens to my stuff they alway leave the CD's behind or on floor and Im like WTF! lol

I get alot of the I don't own a CD player or I don't got a car but thanks....

So I was thinking of having something like and Itunes style card where they go to your site enter a code and get a download of your mix or song...

I was googling today and stumbled across this!
    http://www.dropcards.com/
    well this sounds great! and was wondering is there alternatives to this or cheaper was to achieve like downloading streaming service???

and has anyone here used dropcards??

Thanks

Johnny

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    I found out that handing someone a physical copy of a mix (rather than a card with a link to a download) gets people to listen to your music. Personally, having a new soundtrack for the ride home after a fun-filled night is a great thing to have and to remember you by. Making CD's is not as expensive as they used to be. A good CD printer can be found <$100 and you can but 100 pack of printable CD's for $20.
    Everything is moving away from physical media. Everything is either iphone, ipad, android, etc. Looking at the big picture, you want people to check you out online, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc... I think a card the size of a cd insert or a sticker with a QR code would be more affective in thr long run than a CD that has to be burned and printed and put in a case that will ultimately end up on the floor. At least when the card ends up on the floor it doesn't cost as much.
    Last edited by dj matt blaze; 08-05-2014 at 04:13 PM.

True I realized that lately with my CD distribution.. The CD distribution has worked for people with cd players... but honestly my car has a cd player and aux I have used that damm auxx hundreds more times than the car cd player

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    Everything is moving away from physical media. Everything is either iphone, ipad, android, etc. Looking at the big picture, you want people to check you out online, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc... I think a card the size of a cd insert or a sticker with a QR code would be more affective in thr long run than a CD that has to be burned and printed and put in a case that will ultimately end up on the floor. At least when the card ends up on the floor it doesn't cost as much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast