How to prevent someone copying files from a Mac (better description inside). - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Wow lots to take in. I might hit you up for more advice on this if that's ok dude but yeah this looks a goer.
    Shouldn't be an issue with someone booting from external as the people using it are not that savvy.

Appreciated.
    You know there is always one smartass mate who figures stuff like that out though hehe

Hit me up anytime

Yups, Deevey's answer is one I would try as well.

Nice little tutorial. Might want to make it into a vid.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Amazing the time we live in. In the past you just worried about people swiping the records out of the crate
    Great advice. Let us know how it goes... This is something I'd be interested in. Not that I lend out my MBP, but more as a safety on my studio machine where my main library resides.
    OSX is UNIX... So I'm sure some of the ultra geeky amongst us can come up with an even more intricate solution

This "might" work http://www.endpointprotector.com

Been trying to download it and its taking an age though, not sure exactly if it blocks network devices as well.

Will update once its installed

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Cheers deevey mate. I'll take a look at it myself when I get chance tomorrow bud.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    This "might" work http://www.endpointprotector.com

Been trying to download it and its taking an age though, not sure exactly if it blocks network devices as well.

Will update once its installed
    You're a genius. Endpoint Protector Basic appears to be exactly what I am looking for. It basically prevents any USB devices that are not on the approved list from being usable.
    I just need to add the controllers/USB drives and HDD's that I use to the approved list and setup a further password beyond the admin
    password.

Spot on. I owe you a beer.

Ooh... that's a nice touch!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Had a feeling that would do the trick, glad I could help out

I love this place at times!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Well this could not have been more simple.
    Downloaded the Demo, installed it and within a couple of mins this application has completely solved this problem for me.

I have the admin password that I give to the DJ's so they can login to the machine (this adds a basic layer of security) and I have added an app specific password so that the app cannot be turned off by anyone but me. It runs in the background all the time.

The app lists all the kinds of storage devices/wifi/bluetooth etc that I want to restrict, I just select the permissions (all set to 'Deny').
    The app does not see USB devices such as soundcards or controllers at all so they all work just fine.
    As soon as a USB thumb drive is inserted a dialog comes up saying it is unauthorised and sends me an email stating when and what device was inserted.
    30 day trial which I will test this week and if it goes as well as it has up to now I'll buy it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast