Live instrument into mixer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Live instrument into mixer

Ok- I'm sure it will work but I'm OCD and need to know 100%-----
    Can I run a live instrument (violin, guitar) into my Z2 mixer?? Violin 1/4"-- into RCA adapter--- into back of mixer. Switch to "LINE" ang I'm good, right?? THANKS

The short answer is "maybe" You might need a DI box to get it to line level. Is it some sort of electric pickup on the violin?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Wizard

I believe she is using a DI box. I've never had to set up live instruments before so I've been doing a little research. Using a dj mixer (with built-in sound card) or controller would be similar to a mixing board- correct?

Yes, except DJ mixers generally don't take balanced inputs so you need a Match box or DI to get the signal to line level. Most DI boxes have 1/4 inch out so you'll need a 1/4 inch to rca cable. Also the DI will be mono so you either have to split the signal and run it to both the left and right of your DJ mixer or go mono all the way through the chain.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Does the place you're playing have a regular non DJ mixer for the house/main sound? If so, it might be better to use that for the violin.

Tech Wizard

It's complicated. I'm doing a wedding and violinist will be doing cocktail hour and then ceremony. There will be a mixing board for one location but not the other. I was told she is going 1/4" out. I'm assuming she is using DI box. Thanks for the help!

You should ask her if she is using a DI. It could just be an out straight from her pickup and unless it's battery powered, you'll need something to get it to line level.

Tech Mentor

Not sure about your setup... But some powered PA speakers have extra inputs. I have a set of JBL that take up to 3 inputs each and have a mixer built in. Haven't tried it with live instruments, but would think you can plug in there if she has a DI box as mentioned.

But agree... For the future, it may be beneficial to have a small mixer handy like a Mackie or some sort. Will give you the extra balanced inputs and Mic pres if ever needed.

Good luck.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

If the instrument has a pickup you can run directly into the 1/4' Microphone input on a DJ mixer.

I used to do it with a Live Guitarist and it worked a treat

I would just go pick a cheap compact mixer with instrument input and just plug output of compact mixer into your dj mixer. Cheap and you never know when one would come in handy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast