Supplements for Tinnitus
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Supplements for Tinnitus

So... My girlfriend found something called "Lipo Flavinoid" which is supposed to work on (as a cure for) Tinnitus (yep, I've got it). So, has anyone else tried it? I've been using it for a week and I'm not sure if it's working or not. Any input, even telling me it's "snake oil" (with reasons why), would be welcome.

None of these supplements work. Tinnitus is permanent damage that no pill will "fix." There's some treatments that are still being researched but as of yet there's no cure for it.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Continue, and do report back, mate!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

My ENT recommends a NSAID before and after any loud noise exposure. That helps some.

In terms of the "actual" ringing....there is new evidence that it is being "generated" in the vestibulo-cochlear nerve (8th cranial nerve), and not in the ears. So, this is not an actual "sound" that is being heard, it is an effect of nerve damage. I have seen some research on nerve stimulation as a possible "treatment" for tinnitus.

NONE of the homeopathic, essential oil, dietary supplement, or other "treatments" have gotten past the laugh test for me. One thing to be wary of is that "tinnitus" and "hearing loss" are different things. One is nerve damage, and another can represent a range of possible damage to the structures in the ears. One cure for a range of possible damage is a red flag for me.

I have found that a mindfulness based meditation approach can be really helpful in managing the ringing. For the first year, I needed a "quite" space to actually meditate...which is handy because one of the most difficult times for me is when I am going to sleep. After about a year, I could effectively manage the ringing in (almost) any environment. But, when I am REALLY tired, or when I have had a few drinks (the more I drink, the louder the ringing "sounds" to me)....it is almost impossible to manage the ringing.

The mindfullness meditation world is filled with a LOT of "woo woo" so be prepared. It has really helped me...but it took several months to get good enough at it to be able to get relief in just a few minutes.

Finally, while "exposure" to loud noises is certainly one proximate cause, general stress on the body, bad sleeping habits, and similar things can make management of the ringing harder. When I am REALLY tired ("too tired to sleep") or drunk (even a little) it is MUCH harder for me to manage the ringing. Keep that in mind as you look for ways to manage the ringing.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011...lear-your-mind

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/...innitus_11-06/
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

First of all: Earplugs

Second, I have tinnitus in my right ear from exposure. Your best bet is to learn to accept the issue and let it just turn into the background noise. It took me about a year to get to the point where it was no longer nerve wracking.

I put a fan in the bathroom connected to my bedroom and turn it on at night. Some kind of background noise really helps to keep your mind off of it. Now after two years I'm pretty much just accepting it and I don't loose any sleep.

Thanks for the tips gentlemen! I have an appointment next week with an ENT, as I just got tinnitus in the last month.

I believe mine is due to age and running a paintball field more than DJing as I keep my headphone volume down when mixing (small bars), and don't go clubbing much anymore.

Tech Mentor

I stopped gigging actively in 2006 and took a few more until 2009.

I woke up with Tinnitus in 2012 and it never left or changed. The audiologist will be able to confirm hearing loss. It literally hit me the day after my 40th birthday, not the birthday present I had in mind!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post
    It literally hit me the day after my 40th birthday, not the birthday present I had in mind!
    My audiologist and ENT both added insult to (hearing) injury when they "insisted" that most of my hearing loss was explained by "age" rather than by "exposure."

Tech Guru

First of all: Earplugs
    Yes, a million times yes. I have muscians ear plugs fitted by my audiologist. They were GREAT...and it was the same price as ordering the "home" kit for the same earplugs. My medical insurance even paid for the hearing screening.

I consider these "essential" equipment for any gig.

Your best bet is to learn to accept the issue and let it just turn into the background noise. It took me about a year to get to the point where it was no longer nerve wracking.
    A big part of the mindfullness meditation approach is just this....learning to focus on the ringing so that it can be ignored. After the noise started for me, it was about 18 months of being annoyed (along with the other five stages of grief) before I was able to push through.

I put a fan in the bathroom connected to my bedroom and turn it on at night. Some kind of background noise really helps to keep your mind off of it. Now after two years I'm pretty much just accepting it and I don't loose any sleep.
    This is a common suggestion for ringing....just drown in out with other "white" noise (e.g. fans, noise machines, etc). This worked OK initially, but the ringing just kept getting louder in response. As I understand it, the "background noise" approach is effective for quite a few people, but it was not a good long-term solution for me.

I find that 1-2 hours a day in relative "silence" helps me more than any amount of background noise. I have some noise canceling headphones that I can wear at my desk at my "day job" and I will often have them on with nothing playing...just to get a bit more quite time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast