Rekordbox on laptop + DJM850
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Rekordbox on laptop + DJM850

Hi guys, just got ahold of a new Pioneer djm850 and pair of cdj900 nexus. I come from a traktor S4 mk1 background and traktor DVS background. A couple of questions.

1. Would it be possible to play through rekordbox on my laptop via connecting to the djm850 through a usb cable?

But I realise that the mixer does not have a LAN cable input at the rear panel and it isn't rekordbox compatible.

Does this mean that the only way for me to play rekordbox analysed files is through USB thumbdrives/HDDs?

2. I know that the djm850 is traktor scratch certified. How would I set this up? I have traktor scratch pro 2 and the associated vinyl/control cds.

Do I set everything on the pioneer djm850 setting utility to
    a) input usb1/2 and usb 7/8
    b) output ch1 and ch4 phono timecode
    c) and set my traktor settings input/output corresponding?

For cables, all I need would be to connect my laptop to the djm via usb cable?

(I have a pair of 1210s)

3. Would it be possible to do hybrid mode in this case?

Cheers
    Last edited by Tornesoul; 08-19-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

Tech Mentor

midi doesn't send audio.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post
    midi doesn't send audio.
    my bad. corrected.
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

Tech Mentor

1. The fact that the mixer doesn't have ethernet doesn't matter really.

Hook up the 2 CDJs and your laptop together via an ethernet switch/hub (no USB involved).

Then you can play tracks from Rekordbox on your laptop via each CDJ.

2. Use Pioneer's DJM-850 settings utility software to assign in/out channels as you wish.

I wouldn't really suggest you bother though as...

3. Traktor doesn't support HID mode on the 900 Nexus decks yet, and Traktor + timecode is way less nice to use than the regular Rekorbox setup. So unless you REALLY need Traktor's FX or something, I wouldn't bother.

Tech Mentor

I missed the bit about you having Techs as well; I'd suggest using those via timecode (vinyl timecode is fine) and sticking to RB for the CDJs.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    1. The fact that the mixer doesn't have ethernet doesn't matter really.

Hook up the 2 CDJs and your laptop together via an ethernet switch/hub (no USB involved).

Then you can play tracks from Rekordbox on your laptop via each CDJ.

2. Use Pioneer's DJM-850 settings utility software to assign in/out channels as you wish.

I wouldn't really suggest you bother though as...

3. Traktor doesn't support HID mode on the 900 Nexus decks yet, and Traktor + timecode is way less nice to use than the regular Rekorbox setup. So unless you REALLY need Traktor's FX or something, I wouldn't bother.
    Thank you for the reply. I just went to mess around with control cds with traktor, and got it to work easily. Only issue is that the CUE button isn't on time/accurate. Needed to scratch the track in on time. Had the same problem with cdj1000mk2s some time ago. Is this normal with control cds? Or just me?

Would it be possible to usb connect my laptop to a cdj900nexus and then have the cdjs linked up via LAN in order to play rekordbox via my laptop? Skipping the mixer totally. As I don't have an ethernet hub at the moment.

Thanks for the DVS suggestion! Just exploring my options.

Tech Mentor

Traktor does some weird shit with cueing and timecode CDs, which Serato doesn't, and that's why I'll choose any option in the world other than timecode CDs with Traktor...

What you need to understand about the Rekordbox setup, is that the USB side of things is removed entirely from the equation. If you want to get music from Rekordbox on your laptop to the CDJs, you either export tracks to a USB stick/drive, or hook up via ethernet.

A simple ethernet switch is dirt cheap, I'll find the one I bought so you can see an example.

Tech Mentor

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FN...&pi=SX200_QL40

You should have got 2 ethernet cables with the players, but extra ones are like $2.

Tech Mentor

don't those support wifi? is that as rubbish as it seems like it could be?

Tech Mentor

They do, but if the OP doesn't have a router already, it's more expensive and more hassle to setup a wifi arragement rather than just hook up some LAN cables, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast