traktor workflow between desktop and laptop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default traktor workflow between desktop and laptop

I like to use traktor on my desktop but obviously when ill start to play out ill need to take my songs with me on the laptop. Im just wondering how do you keep your collection in sync because maybe youll make changes to tags etc whilst in the club that youd like availabe on your desktop.

My djinng collection is around 10gbs and im looking to just keep it on the laptops harddrive. I dont have any spare usb slots for an external though my laptop does have an sd card slot.

My machines are pcs. UI like to use mediamonkye as my organizer.

Anyone got any tips theyd liek to share?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Network the drives and update the files every day/week/gig or whatever.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

I would also love to hear how others do this

Tech Student

thanks for the replies.
    Can you provide a bit more detail on networking the drives. My pcs are already on a home network so i can see teh music files on my pc. Did you also mean using some sync software such as synctoy to copy files back and forth?

Are there any things to be wary of before or whilst doing so?

I keep a master set of tracks and Traktor collection & setup files on an external HD. I use Allway Sync (http://allwaysync.com/) to update the most current versions between studio PC and gigging laptop. I love that I can work on playlists on the studio PC, update the exernal HD, sync the laptop, and have the latest stuff I worked on sitting there when I turn on the lappy.

It's convenient for keeping stripe & track mark info current, not just the tracks themselves. There are a lot of file sync solutions around, and probably some better ones, but this one works quite well for me.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

It's worth mentioning that this is also a really convenient solution if you have a dedicated gigging laptop and end up having to reinstall Traktor or even the OS. I've had to do it before. Restoring your exact setup in a few minutes is seriously reassuring.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Tech Guru

use itunes 9 to setup homeshare and you can actually sort music on by whats not on your laptop so it makes it easy to see which songs are missing from you laptop that are on your desktop

I use Synctoy powertools from microsoft.... its free and works well for copying and syncing

of course i am using win platforms on both
    Current Gear: Vestax VCI-100 with DJTT overlay and firmware mod / M-audio Fast Track Pro / Traktor Pro / Windows XP Pro / Korg Nanopad / Akai LPD8 / American Audio MCD-510 / and craploads of other gear

|www.poweralleydj.com||www.myspace.com/dj-tim|

Tech Mentor

I used to use Allway Sync but in the end I just got too lazy and just drag/drop stuff manually onto my external when it's time to play out. I just sort my files by Date Modified and just drag the newest ones on, no hassle.

What sucks is I DJ a lot at home on my desktop with my mouse just to get ideas etc., but none of the history or anything is saved on my laptop haha. Oh well :P

Tech Student

are you syncing both ways? ie. to the laptop and then back again? do you often find the need to do so because you make changes whilst using the laptop?

if you do sync both ways i take it your preserving the directory structure from the pc i.e. mirroring (i think thats what its called).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast