Traktor MIDI Clock - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Theres nothing new about a sync box. They work fine if you are just working outside the box.

Its when you connect it to a software DAW, and try to sync something like Ableton to it, plus external drum machines, is when you get the midi slop. In my experience Ableton has major problems with midi slop when you run external devices from its clock. This is well known and recognised. I think the longest serious thread to date on the ableton forum was about clock sync.

There are endless discussions at livepa.org about how to get tight sync with computers and modules, from people who perform with hardware.

The high end sync setups run a hardware clock, that also has a vst that you run in the DAW. The vst allows the internal clock to be resynced at a much higher frequency than midi clock messages. It essential re-clocks your internal and external devices to the same external sync.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Not really. The plastikman setup is fully in the box.

Hes not syncing any external synths or drum machines. Just one computer to another over ethernet, its quite different than what we are discussing.
    In the vid he talks about syncing Ableton and Traktor without using midi clock, isn't he just using Ableton/Push as essentially an in-the-box drum machine?

around 52:40

"at different times we had sync going back and forth when we were doing the contact shows a couple of years ago...we had midi over ethernet.. honestly in the end we felt too robotic or wasn't functioning as stable as we thought so we all we back to whats your tempo, 124? ok start... in this setup there is no sync, traktor is my master clock... some point in my show I go to ableton I set that at the same tempo then press start then on my x1 controllers i have control over the phase offset for all my turntables and ableton"

/thought it was relevant, ignore it if ya don't

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by beisi View Post
    In the vid he talks about syncing Ableton and Traktor without using midi clock, isn't he just using Ableton/Push as essentially an in-the-box drum machine?

around 52:40

"at different times we had sync going back and forth when we were doing the contact shows a couple of years ago...we had midi over ethernet.. honestly in the end we felt too robotic or wasn't functioning as stable as we thought so we all we back to whats your tempo, 124? ok start... in this setup there is no sync, traktor is my master clock... some point in my show I go to ableton I set that at the same tempo then press start then on my x1 controllers i have control over the phase offset for all my turntables and ableton"

/thought it was relevant, ignore it if ya don't
    Thats even better. He gave up trying to get sync to work and just tap tempo or nudges into phase.

Thats exactly what I ended up doing. If you have the beatmatching skills, its very easy and much more fun than troubleshooting midi offsets.

Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    Already been discussed. This is nothing new. Sync boxes have been on the market for decades. It wont fix midi slop caused by software sequencers.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Already been discussed. This is nothing new. Sync boxes have been on the market for decades. It wont fix midi slop caused by software sequencers.
    Exactly!! I have gone to the route of just beatmatching the drum machine and ditched the whole syncing MIDI route. Less headaches and much easier.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Another option could be to convert audio to midi clock.

If you were using ableton you could have a drum loop routed to this as your midi clock:
    http://www.redsound.com/products/SoundBITEMicro.html

AFAIK the same audio to midi / bypass concept is employed by

http://www.fyrd-instruments.com/MTRX
    (see the 'Jam Box' firmware sync spec, some VST)

as well as the apparently rock solid (but crazy expensive):
    http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New...0Products.html

Since you want traktor as master it may not help though (or sacrifice a deck for an audio loop)

/although FWIW I think you made the right choice just to beatmatch and nudge, especially if you are playing 4/4 type stuff that isn't fluctuating BPM wildly anyways

Quote Originally Posted by beisi View Post
    although FWIW I think you made the right choice just to beatmatch and nudge, especially if you are playing 4/4 type stuff that isn't fluctuating BPM wildly anyways
    Yea, I mostly play techno. The 4/4 makes it easy to beatmatch. Just was looking at other options, but the old school way works best in my current case.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Guru

I have the Eurorack version of this and while expensive it does work, he's making a new version for what you want to do, so you may want to keep an eye out.

So you could say run Ableton or logic, run the TR8 via USB into that and sync Traktor with the box

I think it would work, you can offset the midi drift as well

http://innerclocksystems.com/New%20I...0II%20Pro.html

The new one

http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New...ht-Jacket.html

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
    I have the Eurorack version of this and while expensive it does work, he's making a new version for what you want to do, so you may want to keep an eye out.

So you could say run Ableton or logic, run the TR8 via USB into that and sync Traktor with the box

I think it would work, you can offset the midi drift as well

http://innerclocksystems.com/New%20I...0II%20Pro.html

The new one

http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New...ht-Jacket.html
    These things are the tits. I actually meant innerclocksystems when I was talking about Silent Way.

I got my boutique manufacturers mixed up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12