what gear?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what gear?!

Default what gear?!

OK so decided to invest in some equipment,been thinking about it for a while and been contemplating vinyl/cd etc then it hit me, go digital seems like they way forward.
    so the point of this thread i hear you asking,well basically i have about a £1500-£2000 budget and don't know what to go for,been looking at the vci-300 and i am liking what i see,also need to get laptop out of the budget to as I'm currently a desktop guy

so if it were you guys what would you choose?

thanks

Hi Jameso,

Welcome to DJtechtools.

First off, opt for a beginners set. Make sure you really want it!

It won't hurt your pocket that much if you start with a beginners setup and you notice, after a few months time, you're not liking it as a hobby that much.

After a period of a few months check the following options:

1. Is your PC still enough? (Can it cope with the stress of a digital DJ software solution, or DAW software)
    2. Do you need a new soundcard?
    3. Do you need new speakers?
    4. Do you need a DJ headset?
    5. Do you need a soundmonitor set?
    6. Is your current controller enough, or do you really want/need a new controller?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by jameso View Post
    OK so decided to invest in some equipment,been thinking about it for a while and been contemplating vinyl/cd etc then it hit me, go digital seems like they way forward.
    so the point of this thread i hear you asking,well basically i have about a £1500-£2000 budget and don't know what to go for,been looking at the vci-300 and i am liking what i see,also need to get laptop out of the budget to as I'm currently a desktop guy

so if it were you guys what would you choose?

thanks
    If you got the money to blow i think the Stanton SC Sytem is the setup to beat at the moment. The mixture of the hardware and the programmability of the interface make it pretty unique. Sadly i don't have the kind of money to be playing with it myself.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

What equipment do you already have? Do you won a controller/software/interface/etc.?

If you want to go digital just try out demo's of the different softwares, find out what works for you. It's all so personal it's hard to give you the best solution, especially considering I don't feel comfortable telling you to go out and spend thousands of dollars/pounds on equipment you might hate.

What are you looking to do?
    What experience do you have?
    etc. etc.

If it were me, and I had $3,700 to spend I'd be buying two new turntables, upgrade my needles/cartridges, a better four channel mixer, new monitor speakers, an MPD32, and a new laptop. *shrug* But I'm not new and I have most of the essentials to combine everything together. :-)

J
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

thanks all of u helpful stuff so far,
    i have been mixing using just software and have no controller or any gear minus headphones and a decent set of speakers.
    but i am kinda familiar as been using my mates cdjs for a good while

my style atm is pretty mixed but mainly dance-electro,house,trance

btw the point of this post was mainly to see what the best i could buy with my budget,dont really want to opt for a beginners set up and have to upgrade later as i will only have this money once so basically if someone handed you £2000/$4000 and told you go buy some gear(you have nothing,theoretically) what would you guys buy

jameso

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

And I have nothing?

I'd buy a Dell Inspiron Laptop for an internal hard drive with 250gigs of memory, a dual core processor and 3 gigs of RAM (or two if you prefer), as well as an external for backup. (Probably around $1700)

I'd get the DJ software that I preferred (Traktor/Deckadance/Serato) and the needed controller. If I got Serato I'd buy a pair of Numark TTX's and a two channel mixer ($1800 total including needles and cleaning stuff for the records), if I got Traktor I'd buy the VCI-100 and some sound card that does what I need (around $800). If I am solely focused on DJing and not considering production then I will get something simple, whereas if production is in the future I'd get something bigger with more ins/outs.

I'd also use some money to buy a really good set of headphones ($200), a good carry case (ranges in price) that can carry what I have, as well as a ton of backup audio cables and USB cables for when they all fail at the least opportune time.

What are you looking to do? Where do you want to take this? Do you want to be a huge club DJ or do you want to spin house parties?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

well hopefully both to be honest but just starting out so that will prob take time till then ill be happy just in my house doing what i love

that sounds like a good setup but would it not b wiser going for the vci 300?
    or is that a dumb question lol

also was having a look at numarks ns7 any one know if there as good as numarks claiming them to be?

Quote Originally Posted by jameso View Post
    well hopefully both to be honest but just starting out so that will prob take time till then ill be happy just in my house doing what i love

that sounds like a good setup but would it not b wiser going for the vci 300?
    or is that a dumb question lol

also was having a look at numarks ns7 any one know if there as good as numarks claiming them to be?
    The Stanton SC system is really the mother of all controllers, its just expensive :\ if you got the money thats really the way to go, there wont be any complaining at the end of the day if you buy one. The vci-300 entry level device in comparison, though the vci-300 is a hell of alot more portable than a stanton sc system.

Well, being that you want to start Digital DJing, you can try several setups.

For me the basics would be:
    - Traktor DJ Studio ( 1x $99.00 )
    - Mackie HR-624 active monitor set ( 1x $959.90 )
    - Behringer BCR 2000 ( 1x $129.00 )
    - Sleeves for my in ear set ( 1x $150.00 )

From here I would re- assess if I would want to become Club DJ or not.
    (Laptop, external soundcard)
    You're just staring out on MIDI controller front, don't blast all your cash on a controller if you are not even too sure Controller DJ-ing is for you.

Before I forget... I am an BCR addict, you might want to try another MIDI controller.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Check out the Korg Zero8 by the way.

Fantastic live mixer that can also be used for MIDI controlling.

Korg Zero8 demo.

It also features a firewire soundcare as well. (And is fully Traktor certified )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast