Is There A Way To Make All Songs The Same Level?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Is There A Way To Make All Songs The Same Level?

I'm using Traktor Pro and S4.
    Some of my tracks come in at different levels, is there a way to load them so they are all at the same level?
    Thanks for the input ya'll.

Quote Originally Posted by bisco View Post
    I'm using Traktor Pro and S4.
    Some of my tracks come in at different levels, is there a way to load them so they are all at the same level?
    Thanks for the input ya'll.
    you could try MP3gain, audacity, AVS audio editor or mediamonkey to level track volumes
    HP Pavillion 17" , i7 core 2nd gen, 8Gb ram / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Ableton Live suite 8 & 9 / Traktor Kontrol S4 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / 2x Numark TT200 / Hercules DJ Console RMX / Akai MPD24 / Evolution MK425C / Evolution UC33 / Sennheiser HD215 / M-Audio Audiophiles BX5A active monitors

Tech Mentor

thanks, I'll give those a look.
    So there is no button or toggle in Traktor itself?

There is an autogain option in traktor, I have no idea where it is or how good it is though as I never use it. I run all my mp3's through mp3gain, and then just adjust the gain manually in traktor if I need to depending on the track.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

The autogain in Traktor works most of the time. I still check it and adjust if needed when importing a track. If you have analyzed your tracks and didn't uncheck the set auto gain box, then your tracks already have the auto gain set. If I remember correctly, there is a box to check in preferences to actually use the auto gain setting of a track. Not sure which section, as I am not near my gear ATM.

Tech Guru

The autogain feature in Traktor matches the "maximum" levels of songs. This preserves any quiet passages in the music. Overall, it works reasonably, and preserves some dynamics in the music. There is some need for a "human in the loop"...but that is true of most suggestions.

I don't use mp3gain, so I can't really comment on how well it works.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

I have auto gain checked. No when the gain icon is orange (not blue) does this mean auto gain is enabled or other way around?

Last edited by tekki; 09-05-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Mentor

Also I've been watching the sound level bar and when it starts clipping to red I've been adjusting the gain accordingly, is this just as effective as auto gain?
    The issue I run into with this method is forgetting to reset the gain and if the level is lower I'm forgetting to turn the gain up...
    Last edited by bisco; 09-05-2014 at 10:51 AM.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bisco View Post
    I have auto gain checked. No when the gain icon is orange (not blue) does this mean auto gain is enabled or other way around?
    Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    The autogain feature in Traktor matches the "maximum" levels of songs. This preserves any quiet passages in the music. Overall, it works reasonably, and preserves some dynamics in the music. There is some need for a "human in the loop"...but that is true of most suggestions.

I don't use mp3gain, so I can't really comment on how well it works.
    Autogain works by altering the Gain of a track so that it is 0:0db - lowering or increasing a track so that it is at that level.
    When the Gain knob has a blue LED against it then the Autogain setting in preferences is turned on but you can alter the gain by moving the knob even if the track is locked.
    If you click on the knob and turn it orange the knob then it shows the Gain value that Traktor has applied to the track during analysis. If the track is locked the gain knob becomes greyed out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast