Mixing old skool rnb - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You can also look for extended mixes of rnb tunes that have a proper intro & outro for mixing in & out.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    You can also look for extended mixes of rnb tunes that have a proper intro & outro for mixing in & out.
    yea would help me alot

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    I want to do a new mix for soundcloud but i find mixing rnb really hard theres no videos on youtube and useless information online. It just sounds a bit messy on my transition but then ill listen to popular mix on soundcloud and they also sound a bit messy not very smooth transitions. is this how it is in rnb mixes ? i think im focusing on to perfect the transition so much like its on a house/dance mix but Im finding it really hard
    any tips ?
    Hi maybe consider becoming a member of this dj pool it has a lot of edits in oldschool R&B
    http://www.beatjunkies.com/

It will make your life more easy.
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    I had a look on youtube of it and i understand it more it is something i will get in the future, looks like it saves a lot of time. do you think its taking the skill out of djing tho ?
    I'm probably not the right person to answer that question for you, I subscribe to the "if your mix sounds great and people like it, I don't give two *bleep*s how you did it" school of thought. I still have the scars from fighting in the 8-bit computer wars, I don't have the energy to be a zealot any more.

That era of RnB is great fun to mix but you need to know the tunes inside out. I would also advise using loops (if u use Dj software) to extend the mix and even using cue points as indicators for your mix (ie start track 2 here mix out track 1 here). Also be careful of bass line/drums clashing use the age old fix of EQing out some bass works well. Another thing is rnb intros are often short so if u have effects like freeze echo they can sound good after a short blend. The tip about mixing with key is a valid one and although you may see it as a shortcut if u know your tunes your often doing without realising. Here's a mix I did with tunes from a similar era a couple years ago (not 100% perfect or 100% rnb but might give u some inspiration or whatever) this mix is so old it's when I was before I made the switch to traktor and was using a programme called RPM, anyway I digress:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/88t0...0ba/RnBMIX.mp3

I would add that as long as your mixes have a nice energy to them and make people catch a vibe don't get to stuck on perfect transitions. I would also recommend listening to a classic mix like the breakdown megamix which for its time was breathtaking and inspirational and although not 100% rnb was brilliantly creative
    DJ, Producer, Radio Presenter & Tutor
    Win8 64bit / TP2.6.8 / Ableton / Maschine
    S4 / X1 / F1 / Z1 / Maschine Mikro / Midi Fighter Twister / Akai Mini Mk2 / Boss FS-5U
    Twitter: @joegrime
    www.soundcloud.com/joegrime // www.mixcloud.com/joegrime

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGrime View Post
    That era of RnB is great fun to mix but you need to know the tunes inside out. I would also advise using loops (if u use Dj software) to extend the mix and even using cue points as indicators for your mix (ie start track 2 here mix out track 1 here). Also be careful of bass line/drums clashing use the age old fix of EQing out some bass works well. Another thing is rnb intros are often short so if u have effects like freeze echo they can sound good after a short blend. The tip about mixing with key is a valid one and although you may see it as a shortcut if u know your tunes your often doing without realising. Here's a mix I did with tunes from a similar era a couple years ago (not 100% perfect or 100% rnb but might give u some inspiration or whatever) this mix is so old it's when I was before I made the switch to traktor and was using a programme called RPM, anyway I digress:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/88t0...0ba/RnBMIX.mp3

I would add that as long as your mixes have a nice energy to them and make people catch a vibe don't get to stuck on perfect transitions. I would also recommend listening to a classic mix like the breakdown megamix which for its time was breathtaking and inspirational and although not 100% rnb was brilliantly creative
    yes thats what ive been doing looping and setiing cue points im getting better and better.

Good to hear. I will say that it's worth looking into harmonic mixing just to add another weapon to your Dj Arsenal. I also forgot to mention that tone play can be a lot of fun with RnB and adds some real flavour to the mix. Good luck leaning and look forward to hearing some mixes in the near future.
    DJ, Producer, Radio Presenter & Tutor
    Win8 64bit / TP2.6.8 / Ableton / Maschine
    S4 / X1 / F1 / Z1 / Maschine Mikro / Midi Fighter Twister / Akai Mini Mk2 / Boss FS-5U
    Twitter: @joegrime
    www.soundcloud.com/joegrime // www.mixcloud.com/joegrime

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12