[Other] Would you call this a pro mix down?
    Tech Mentor

Default Would you call this a pro mix down?

Hey guys, I've worked really hard on mixing this song and in my opinion this is the best I've done so far. So could please take out a few mins and give this a listen and point out any flaws in this? Does this sound pro level?

ps this is a bit soft since it isn't mastered yet..

thanks

That music isn't my forte, not that I have a forte.

But, piano and vocalist seem to be fighting it out for who's out front. Piano needs to go back further in the mix IMHO. I'm also not overly keen on the arrangement because the loudest piano notes are oftentimes playing the melody the singer's singing at the same time.

That's my humble, inexperienced opinion.

Great tune though. Love the tone of the singer's voice!
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

Hi,

thanks for your input. Now that you mention it i agree the piano is intact fighting. Shall work on it. Thanks

Hi,

The general levels between voices and instruments are good. However, the mix overall is very dull. It may be like that, so it may or may not be able to be brightened up with EQ. Overall it's quite a dry sound, no reverb has been added. With adding different types of reverb to voice, piano, drums it would help to give them each their own space. It get's a bit muddled, but that's partly to do with the drummer being a bit too busy and quite rushed in his playing, but also due to the lack of treble and reverb, etc.

In terms or pro? The performance is live and it's a decent live performance but if it was in the studio you would be changing a lot of the arrangement and re-doing much of it. The way it is at the moment performance and sound quality is demo standard, not pro as it where.
    Last edited by Timbo21; 09-11-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Tech Mentor

Hi Timbo,

Thanks for your great feedback. Yeah i did get pointed out to the dullness of the song. Though i have added reverb but guess it washy enough. I don't generally consider using different reverbs in the same track..i think they may feel like in different places maybe? correct me if I'm wrong. But i most def will give that a shot too and see how that goes.

Thanks

Generally, you don't put reverb on bass drums, bass guitar, or cymbals, but there's always exceptions. It might seem strange putting different types of reverb on different things, but that's how most records are made. Quite often room reverbs will be put on snares & percussion, and longer plate reverb on vocals and a mid length plate/larger room sound on piano. in the 80's they loved long delayed plate on the snare drum. 70's everything was pretty dry. If you have the exact same reverb on everything it can start to just sound like you've just put the whole track through reverb, so it does actually sound good to experiment with different ones for this and that. Vocal ballads can sound really good by adding 70ms-120ms delay to the send of a plate reverb so that so there is a very slight delay before the reverb kicks in. In the 80's for that wall of death Phil collins drum sound they would put a gate on the reverb so it clamped down hard and cut the decay off.

I guess you don't hear the reverb on the track because of it being so dull.

Anyway, good luck
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/