Considering going to a DJ academy - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    I want to make an impact on the whole music industry
    I would recommend music production then.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I would recommend music production then.
    Both will do for me

Yes sir

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    at 6:10 how would you rate that.
    to me thats beat matching but i will most likely be proven wrong
    I don't see what you're trying to prove here, the beatmatching wasn't that good and the transition was really quick.

Also, "Jess Glynne - Right Here [Official Video]"? Are you playing Youtube rips?

Tech Guru

Your phrasing is off. I work with a DJ who's been mixing since before I was born and.. He can't mix. I managed to make him convert from Serato to Traktor, showed him the beauty of using sync and the time it affords him to do other thing in his set...

And then realised he just doesn't understand mixing at all, phrasing was totally out, dropping down beats on upbeats, combining vocals, mixing build up into build up, oh God the list goes on.

There's two kinds of DJs, the one's who got it, and the ones who don't. You can beatmatch 20 tracks in key whilst playing the national anthem through a trumpet up your arse, but if those 20 songs are not the the right songs for that moment, it means nothing.

It just cannot be taught, only learnt by experience.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Banned

Spend the money on the school, why not? A lot of people will learn on the job by watching other DJs and by screwing up. If you aren't out there working than going to a school could fill that gap and perhaps give you the confidence you need to start getting out there.

The transition at 4:15 or 4:30 wasn't beatmatched at all man. It just wasn't as noticable because you'd already starting cutting out the percussion in the playing song and there was no percussion on Le Cool, but the pumping vocal/pad wasn't lined up at all with the beat of the playing song, even though the pumping is lined up with the beat once the song kicks in in full. Short transitions are much easier when the beat matching isn't great - trust me. I know because I'm still not that great of a beat matcher myself. Keep practicing and listen critically to your own mixes. Compare your transitions to DJs that know their stuff and aren't using sync. I have all the mixes I've done since getting my tables 9 months ago because I really like the music. So I'll still listen to these while I'm at the gym. Sometimes, while listening to some of the mixes I did 3/6 months ago - stuff I thought was pretty good and I cringe and stop lifting weights and excitedly spin my hand forward repeatedly trying to tell myself to spin the incoming record. People at my gym probably think I have mental issues.

And take the advice from these cats that have been doing it for a long time rather than getting defensive. They have a lot of knowledge to offer if you'll let them.

As far as dropping the coin for the academy. My guess is you're not going to get your money's worth. You might pick up a few tips, but I'm guessing you probably already know a lot of what they'll be teaching - now it's just practice to perfect it. If you want to drop the coin, go ahead. I could be wrong and you might "get it" with some hands on tutoring.

And since you know you get the beats matched to within .10s in Traktor, close your laptop and use your ears. It looks like you've got tables, so use straight vinyl so you can't look at the phase meter/BPMs in Traktor. My guess is you're struggling with RnB because it's not 4 to the floor like techno/house. You'll have to find the different parts in the songs that comprise the rhythm. (or at least come in at certain points on the rhythm) What comes in on the 1, 2 or 4? What about the song your cueing? Is it percussion or is it a bass/keyboard/vocal hit that comes in on the 1? Does it happen all throughout the song?
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Attachment 23484

I read this after DJ'ing for a couple of years, and it was just light bulb after light bulb after light bulb going off. All of the things that I'd half-learned through perseverance and repetition were cemented after reading it a couple of times.

It's not been updated - but ALL of the basics are there and it is super easy to read...

Ahh, Bill Brewster, I would Also highly recommend anyone to read Last night a DJ saved my life.
    Absolutely riveting stuff. Loved the chapter about the parisian Jazz music rebels during the occupation. And in retrospect the controversial chapter which includes Ahem, Jimmy Saville. Allegedly the worlds first DJ, (paying money to hear someone playing records)

Unknown.jpg

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Your phrasing is off. I work with a DJ who's been mixing since before I was born and.. He can't mix. I managed to make him convert from Serato to Traktor, showed him the beauty of using sync and the time it affords him to do other thing in his set...

And then realised he just doesn't understand mixing at all, phrasing was totally out, dropping down beats on upbeats, combining vocals, mixing build up into build up, oh God the list goes on.

There's two kinds of DJs, the one's who got it, and the ones who don't. You can beatmatch 20 tracks in key whilst playing the national anthem through a trumpet up your arse, but if those 20 songs are not the the right songs for that moment, it means nothing.

It just cannot be taught, only learnt by experience.
    I will never take advise from someone that uses sync

Tech Mentor

[QUOTE=ImNotDedYet;698500]The transition at 4:15 or 4:30 wasn't beatmatched at all man. It just wasn't as noticable because you'd already starting cutting out the percussion in the playing song and there was no percussion on Le Cool, but the pumping vocal/pad wasn't lined up at all with the beat of the playing song, even though the pumping is lined up with the beat once the song kicks in in full. Short transitions are much easier when the beat matching isn't great - trust me. I know because I'm still not that great of a beat matcher myself. Keep practicing and listen critically to your own mixes. Compare your transitions to DJs that know their stuff and aren't using sync. I have all the mixes I've done since getting my tables 9 months ago because I really like the music. So I'll still listen to these while I'm at the gym. Sometimes, while listening to some of the mixes I did 3/6 months ago - stuff I thought was pretty good and I cringe and stop lifting weights and excitedly spin my hand forward repeatedly trying to tell myself to spin the incoming record. People at my gym probably think I have mental issues.

And take the advice from these cats that have been doing it for a long time rather than getting defensive. They have a lot of knowledge to offer if you'll let them.

As far as dropping the coin for the academy. My guess is you're not going to get your money's worth. You might pick up a few tips, but I'm guessing you probably already know a lot of what they'll be teaching - now it's just practice to perfect it. If you want to drop the coin, go ahead. I could be wrong and you might "get it" with some hands on tutoring.

And since you know you get the beats matched to within .10s in Traktor, close your laptop and use your ears. It looks like you've got tables, so use straight vinyl so you can't look at the phase meter/BPMs in Traktor. My guess is you're struggling with RnB because it's not 4 to the floor like techno/house. You'll have to find the different parts in the songs that comprise the rhythm. (or at least come in at certain points on the rhythm) What comes in on the 1, 2 or 4? What about the song your cueing? Is it percussion or is it a bass/keyboard/vocal hit that comes in on the 1? Does it happen all throughout the song?[/

I don't have a lot of vinyl I think I need a better pair of headphones as I can't hear hardly nothing so I do it out loud most of the time but I need to practise getting my phrases on point

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast