Considering going to a DJ academy - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

[QUOTE=ImNotDedYet;698538]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post

Try turning your cue monitor output level up. Getting the right balance between the cue monitor level and the level of the output from my monitors was a big help for me. Don't be afraid to adjust the cue level as you transition and don't forget to either switch what's cueing or put both headphones on once the incoming song has "taken over" the main output. This will help you to keep the two songs in sync as you're fading out the outgoing song.

Just keep counting for your phrases. You'll start to get a feel for the start of a new phrase, but some songs - especially stuff I like to spin, deep house is very repetitive and without a drum fill or something I'm not really positive if I'm in the 4th bar, 8th bar, etc. Listen to your songs - what's typically different musically/rhythmically in the 8th bar or 4th bar, if anything? Oftentimes there's something that can cue you off where you're at in the song.

Just keep at it man. Don't get discouraged, and if you have the money for the academy without worrying about food, maybe do it? As much as I advocate trying to learn on your own, and there's a lot you can do to learn on your own with the Internet and your own ears, nothing can replace being face to face with someone that knows what they're doing and the ability to ask them questions.

Yeah that's my plan mate I can't even deny it myself I've improved so much even when I'm listening to other mixes I know when the next tune will drop I just get frustrated when it don't sound good becuase I know I can do it better. DJing is hardest thing I've ever had to learn and I'm still learning everyday. But as people said practise practise and that's what I intend to do

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste
    I will never take advise from someone that uses sync
    I use sync.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I use sync.
    Go you. But that's not me

I'm just saying, mate, don't swtch yourself off from potential sources of advice because they use sync.

You can't afford to be closed minded like that. It makes you sound very arrogant, and your inexperience shows through in that.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Banned

Kid there is nothing in the world as idiotic as saying you won't take advice from people who know more than you.

Well you'd best be prepared to eat a slice of humble pie mate, because you've been taking advice from people who use sync for about 4 pages.

You'll find as you progress you'll want to do a bit more than just blend two tracks into one another. For instance i use sync to keep two tracks decks looping in time as i launch various do da's with my F1. Using Quantize and snap keeps loops tight and effects in time. Havin your MIDI clock sync'd with outside sources such as maschine is a neccisity if you want to keep things smooth. After doing all that i'll blend in a old house record on vinyl, because i can and i have the skill set to do different things.

And hell, sometimes when im drunk i use a bit of sync so i can have a dance too!

It shows a lack of understanding from your part an if your putting up walls to whats available then you, you wont be tearing any down on the dance floor. (Thankyou very much)
    Last edited by DubluW; 09-12-2014 at 06:27 AM.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Tech Mentor

When I say that I'm talking about using sync for tradiatinal mixing but if your doing all crazy shit then fair enough but any one using sync just to do a standard mix I will never respect them as a dj and that's just my opinion. As everyone knows I'm very ignorant towards digital DJing and still don't know how to use traktor properly becuase I light the old skool mixing. But I'm learning as I didn't know people use sync so they can do some crazy shit on the remix decks. Don't know why people are getting offended and ripping there hair out I'm just a young dj who learning and diosnt know better.

Tech Mentor

And I've listened to all advise an taken it in from what I've got from this post

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    Don't know why people are getting offended and ripping there hair out I'm just a young dj who learning and diosnt know better.
    Because people are giving you advice and instead of sitting down and listening to what they have to say, you're disrespecting them due to your ignorance. Respect isn't earned by beatmatching, but by behaving properly.

Just remember - there are a MILLION DJ's out there that DON'T use sync, and ONLY make "standard" mixes.

They don't get any respect either, 'cos beatmatching (difficult to learn, but easy once mastered) 2 tunes and "vanilla" (A>B) mixing between them, shows absolutely ZERO creativity.

But let's not make this into an A>B argument.

(Dear God what have I done...?)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast