Considering going to a DJ academy - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Attachment 23484

I read this after DJ'ing for a couple of years, and it was just light bulb after light bulb after light bulb going off. All of the things that I'd half-learned through perseverance and repetition were cemented after reading it a couple of times.

It's not been updated - but ALL of the basics are there and it is super easy to read...
    Brilliant book!

They updated it around 2006 I think- just to include more stuff on the digital side of DJing. I got my first copy in 2001 and must have read it through 4 or 5 times while I was learning. I fancied reading it again last year, as much out of nostalgia as anything else, but couldn't find it so I ordered another copy.

I then found my original copy a month later while I was moving house. The newer copy has a more silvery cover and has "now includes digital DJing" written at the bottom of the title. All the original stuff is still in there though.

As for the OP, use the money you were considering spending on the course to pick up a pair of decent monitors, a pair of decent headphones, and a copy of that book. You should have enough change left over to pick up a few more vinyl records- tunes that you love.

Then read through that book- not only is it an excellent resource it is also a very entertaining read- and I guarantee it will help you re-assess your practice methods and take you forward. And considering your opinions on the newer aspects of DJing, that book & approach- with it's focus on the traditional methods- couldn't be any better suited to you.

But as others have said, don't disregard info from people with more experience than yourself just because you don't agree with a certain aspect of how they work. I hold specific opinions on certain aspects of DJing (I am sure we all do) but I am well aware that I am still able to learn stuff from those who operate in a way different to my own- in many ways having been at it over ten years now I probably pick up more useful stuff from those whose style of DJing is different to my own, purely because it leads me to continually assess how I do things and try things I may not have otherwise considered.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    Don't know why people are getting offended and ripping there hair out I'm just a young dj who learning and diosnt know better.
    Although you are offensive I very much doubt anybody in this thread is offended.

Just remember - there are a MILLION DJ's out there that DON'T use sync, and ONLY make "standard" mixes.

They don't get any respect either, 'cos beatmatching (difficult to learn, but easy once mastered) 2 tunes and "vanilla" (A>B) mixing between them, shows absolutely ZERO creativity.

But let's not make this into an A>B argument.

(Dear God what have I done...?)
    I like to mix traditionally why u say stuff like dis mate ='''(

Tech Mentor

Just remember - there are a MILLION DJ's out there that DON'T use sync, and ONLY make "standard" mixes.

They don't get any respect either, 'cos beatmatching (difficult to learn, but easy once mastered) 2 tunes and "vanilla" (A>B) mixing between them, shows absolutely ZERO creativity.

(Dear God what have I done...?)

that's a total load, just because you've never seen a dj take beat mixing to the next level doesn't mean that none do.

I'm sorry if you've never experienced it. taking 20 seconds to line up a 5 minute beat mix isn't easy and once you add a third deck to the mix it really keeps you on the seat of your pants. Keeping a perpetual mix for a half an hour on a three 1200s is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200
    that's a total load, just because you've never seen a dj take beat mixing to the next level doesn't mean that none do.

I'm sorry if you've never experienced it. taking 20 seconds to line up a 5 minute beat mix isn't easy and once you add a third deck to the mix it really keeps you on the seat of your pants. Keeping a perpetual mix for a half an hour on a three 1200s is fun.
    Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

you can't just come into a discussion, bring something up and then say let's not talk about it.. that's what my wife tries to do!

So Patch is the DJTT housewife? Cute

DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Wanna get lunch sometime?

LOL, can of worms...meet dead horse. Dead horse...meet foot in mouth.

Patch is so not hot as a housewife!
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast