World's Largest Record Collection is Worth $50 Million; No One Wants it for $3 Mil

Default World's Largest Record Collection is Worth $50 Million; No One Wants it for $3 Mil

Man...I thought I'd share this here...tough story...

From Gizmodo:
    http://gizmodo.com/5038783/worlds-la...-for-3-million

If you're looking for a sign that we live in a digital world that cares not for the physical manifestations of our analog past, you need only look at Paul Mawhinney's record collection. At over 3 million records, it's the largest in the world. He's trying to sell it due to his advancing age and health problems. Unfortunately, as he puts it, "no one gives a damn."

Paul's been building his collection for most of his life. He used to run a record store, and while running it he never sold the last copy of any album or single, instead keeping it for his archives. Over the years, those really added up.

Now, at an advancing age, stricken with diabetes and legally blind, Paul wants to sell the collection. It's been appraised at about $50 million, but Paul is asking a mere $3 million. He's had no serious offers, and an eBay auction back in February fell through.

In a time when you can access pretty much whatever music you want online, hard copies of albums are declining in value, both monetary and sentimentally. But to see such a mindblowing collection as this sitting in a basement, unwanted, is really heartbreaking. This is historic, no matter that we live in the iPod era or not, and it belongs in a museum. If only one cared enough to buy it.

3 Million, no problem, let me write you a check. After I would transfer it to mp3. By the time i finish I would have to sell the vinyl collection and my 100 terabyte ext hd with all the mp3 due to my old age.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC1200 View Post
    3 Million, no problem, let me write you a check. After I would transfer it to mp3. By the time i finish I would have to sell the vinyl collection and my 100 terabyte ext hd with all the mp3 due to my old age.
    Then you gotta set about beatgridding it all

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, of course no one person is going to buy all of them.

But if he sold it piecemeal, at 4 dollars a record including shipping he'd make a ton of money and get rid of most of it. But that's a painfully huge endeavor
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

he could give someone a cut, to spend their time selling them thru an online rare record shop. thatd be easy and painless
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Tech Mentor

/me looks at DJ Shadow!
    obsidiance » breaks-drum'n'bass-big beats

Tech Mentor

How many people have 3 million lying around and so forth? This article is really twisted, I'm sure there are tons of people who'd kill to have their hands on a collection like that. But there's so many reasons not to do it too.

I mean, you'd never get through all of it anyway. Get real. I don't even care for that much music digitally.

A lot of people have 3 mil lying around...just nobody that posts on this forum.

I took away from the article that someone could purchase it and donate it to some sort of museum or library.