Question about phrase matching & mixing to compliment a tracks musical structure
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Question about phrase matching & mixing to compliment a tracks musical structure

Hi There,

I have a quick question about phrase matching. I am aware that to phrase a good mix, you have to start the incoming songs 8-bar phrase at the same time as when the currently playing songs' 8-bar phrase has ended.

However, I wanted to go beyond this.. I was wondering how you mix so that each songs musical structure compliments each other.. So that you can start Verse 1 of Song B, just as the chorus to Song A has ended.

Or alternatively, starting song B's breakdown just after Song A's Verse has finished.. or any kind of combination like that.

Because phrase matching is about starting 8-bar phrases at the right time.. this doesn't always mean that it is the end of the chorus or verse of that song.. The start of a new 8-bar phrase may be halfway through a 16-bar Verse?

Thanks in advance!

This is all really dependant on the track that is playing and the one you're bringing in. They need to compliment eachother. And if they compliment eachother they can mix // blend in many ways. It is all about what you're trying to achieve. Do you want a quick mix to the drop , or to blend the tracks together for a while.

After 6 years of dj'ing I don't really think there is a right or wrong way to do this because sometimes you'll go to mix a track and it won't be as good of a mix , but if you do it again the exact same way with different tracks(that work better together) it will sound flawless.

This is something you should really experiment with because any answer that comes your way might not be what you would like to do. Sometimes I mix on the 32nd beat or the 1st, or even the 16th depending on where I am at in my track and what im feeling will work within the set.

Think outside the box, otherwise you're just putting boundaries on something that has no real rules. I usually just tell people to do what sounds right. Track selection is in my opinion the absolute most important aspect of dj'ing.

It really depends on how your mixing IMO.

I'm a vinyl guy and I've found that you actually want to start/bring in the next song after the 16th, not the 8th because as you mentioned, the "8th" may actually be the song's 24th and the break may be at 32. I think _most_ songs are structured such that breaks and drops are multiples of 16s, not necessarily 8s. If you're looping, this is fine, you can bring in on the 8 and loop til you get them in sync such that the 16s are playing together. I'd stopped counting all the way through because I could tell where the 8 was just by listening. Determining if the upcoming 8th is actually a 16th or not is a bit more difficult and I find myself not having the best transitions sometimes because of this. Like I said, if you're digital and have access to looping, it's not as big of a deal, but with vinyl once you'e started..you're stuck with it.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

32 is where it's at most tracks after 32 more percussion maybe light bass line by 64 is where the big change comes I usually try to have the 64 start when the last 64 is starting on other track

Tech Guru

The best way is to memorize the sections of your tracks so you know which parts are too busy to mix into. If I am unfamiliar I usually drop the next track 8 bars after the break and gradually start mixing and hope the intro ends around the same time as the change in track 1 .
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

Huh, If I'm not too familiar with a track, I always drop on the break and rarely have ever had something not work.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

That all sounds rather complicated. Just mix, and if it sounds shit, try again. Rinse, repeat.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    That all sounds rather complicated. Just mix, and if it sounds shit, try again. Rinse, repeat.
    This.

Have several/loads of test sessions at home before playing tunes on gigs, this way you will know what tracks will blend in great.
    (Especially when some of these test sessions are B2B you will be able/learn to drop a decision on a track faster and faster each time around)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by lucidstrings View Post
    32 is where it's at most tracks after 32 more percussion maybe light bass line by 64 is where the big change comes I usually try to have the 64 start when the last 64 is starting on other track
    Just mixing 64 beats is a pretty short mix though isn't it.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

All depends on the genre. Not all of us can do epic 3 minute mixes eh tekki
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast