swwitching from ableton to traktor
    Tech Convert

Default swwitching from ableton to traktor

ok so I have a couple of gigs under my belt using ableton, while I am still a complete noob but I have had moderate success. but I have come to realize that traktor is more my speed simply cause I want to "feel" like a dj. with ableton I was using effects and stuff but I want to sctrach have to cue ect like ableton makes it a lil easy to the point were its plug and play once you have warped the tracks and mapped everything out with the midi... also me being hip hop based I want to feel closer to what I love

now my question(s) to you guys is:

whats a good controller to use to accomplish the above ( under 200-250)

would it be better to get the scratch pro cause of the scratching I want to learn to do

whats a good mixer to get (again under 200- 250)

if I need scratch pro which turn tables are best?

sorry for all the questions

but any help wouldn't go un thanked

Quote Originally Posted by thugpoet View Post
    would it be better to get the scratch pro cause of the scratching I want to learn to do
    simply, yes. unless you want to spend half a decade getting a semi-decent vinyl collection, you're going to need some digital interface. scratch pro advertises itself as 2x better resolution than serato, aka more detail in your cuts. this also means you're probably going to need a NI soundcard (i've heard rumors of people getting it to work with other cards though) in order for it to work.

whats a good mixer to get (again under 200- 250)
    i have a behringer vmx-200 i got for $75 :P it's cheap as hell but it gets the job done. adjustable crossfader curve, adjustable volume slider curve, good EQ cuts. that's my recommendation to start off with.

if I need scratch pro which turn tables are best?
    good tables are good tables, and a lot of people swear by technic 1200's. you get what you pay for. what ever you do, don't get a belt drive if you want to scratch. period. mixing with them is bearable for the most part, but you won't be able to scratch worth a damn. as long as they're direct drive you should be cool. but again, you really get what you pay for.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Id put your money together for your mixer and your midi controller and get a VCI-100 or a VCI-300 instead, later down the track you could pick up a mixer to go it that would allow you to mix externally.