Need Recommendations for the Chicago Area Regarding DJ'ing / Production
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Recommendations for the Chicago Area Regarding DJ'ing / Production

Hello Everyone!

I am originally a toronto-based DJ. However I just came to Chicago, and I will be staying here for quite a few months. I have done some research regarding the Chicago Scene (the downtown area, boys town, Rush & Division), and I just wanted to know if any of you had recommendations as to what areas or even specific bars/clubs are more likely to "receive" a DJ without much local following.

(I don't have much of a local following in Chicago, but as far as Toronto goes, I had a minimum of 3 residencies a week, but on average i worked 3-6 nights weekly).

Also, do any of you recommend any good production schools? Again I did my research, and found out that most production schools have a "curriculum". Now, I don't have anything against that, but I would like to know if any1 had any first hand experience regarding a school that is more "adaptable" to the student; meaning that your teacher/mentor teaches you in relation to your knowledge. Play de Record Academy in Toronto did this, and I am a FAN of that system.

Any comments, or tips are welcomed and highly appreciated!

Also, in the event that you need some1 to open a set for you, or even perhaps collaborate on a track, lemme know!
    Like my page: [/B]www.facebook.com/djtruewind !

It's tough to break into the scene there are only a few promoters/DJ's that run the major club scene. There are tons of bars that might be easier to get into. You will just have to break in the old fashioned way.
    I believe scratch DJ academy opened a Chicago location... I also ran across a place called DJ School Skokie (Skokie is a suburb of Chicago) you can google them to find them. They seem to be a one on one school.
    Hope this info helps. If you need more info, let me know.

Welcome to Chicago, it's all about who you know here. Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post
    You will just have to break in the old fashioned way.
    I believe scratch DJ academy opened a Chicago location... I also ran across a place called DJ School Skokie (Skokie is a suburb of Chicago).
    Yeah, in regards to that I already begun shooting off a few emails to begin with. I already got myself in a DJ competition over at a Club next thursday. Hmm... Skokie.. Imma look into that. I got no car, so if I can comfortably get there via CTA, then it might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Welcome to Chicago, it's all about who you know here. Where are you located?
    I'm located near the loop. Wabash and Randolph is like at a 15-20 min walk.

Welcome to Chicago, it's all about who you know here.
    Bingo.

What kind of music do you play? Ill talk to this dude CZR and maybe I can at least get you in front of a few guys. Shoot me your contact info via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by truewind View Post
    Yeah, in regards to that I already begun shooting off a few emails to begin with. I already got myself in a DJ competition over at a Club next thursday. Hmm... Skokie.. Imma look into that. I got no car, so if I can comfortably get there via CTA, then it might be an option.

I'm located near the loop. Wabash and Randolph is like at a 15-20 min walk.
    Sweet dude I'm about a 15 minute drive from you. When are we all having our Chicago DJTT meet?

Welcome to Chicago, it's all about who you know here.
    I think that's universal. Can't imagine it being any different anywhere on this planet
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

What are you best at? Pm me some info... and how easily can you get to the river north area?

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    What kind of music do you play? Ill talk to this dude CZR and maybe I can at least get you in front of a few guys. Shoot me your contact info via PM.
    Coming from a City as diverse as Toronto, I'm pretty much well versed in everything club friendly / commercial (Open format). For Example in a 4 - 5hour set I'll play top 40, EDM, deep house, techno, progressive, tech house, Hop Hop, R&B, disco, moombathon, Pop, Some Reggae, Latin. (just don't ask me to play some gangsta hip hop... lol) Thanks for the consideration man! PM is on its way!

Sweet dude I'm about a 15 minute drive from you. When are we all having our Chicago DJTT meet?
    Woooo!!!! I dunno, Who is down for that?!!! I used to host the DJforums Toronto meets until about 2 years ago (before the forums crashed and stopped being as kewl as they were before). We ended up putting a few gigs, and had fun. The only issue is where can we host 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    I think that's universal. Can't imagine it being any different anywhere on this planet
    Words of Wisdom. It's like you knew how humans interact! Sensei, teach me your ways! heheheh!

Quote Originally Posted by Louie_V View Post
    What are you best at? Pm me some info... and how easily can you get to the river north area?
    What am I best at? Hm... Genre wise I'd say Latin House (both chill/loungy and upbeat / club), EDM, Trap, Tech House, Progressive, & top 40 / commercial club format. PM is on its way too!

Quote Originally Posted by Louie_V View Post
    and how easily can you get to the river north area?
    Forgot to answer this... Is the River north Area where "Cicero" is? (west of the loop?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast