Calling all Gurus!!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Calling all Gurus!!

I don't like posting on here but i haven't found anywhere else that has successfully addressed this issue.
    Im trying to map a side chain button. I want to have a modifier change from zero to 1 in sync with the beat. While the modifier is at zero have a command cut the gain way down and then when it changes to one, have another command be set to inc and bring it back up really fast. I have not found a way to do this sort of thing anywhere and i think it would be awesome! someone could even use it for the one button mapping contest, i just want it to work. preferably without third party software. Thanks all

I'll give this a go sounds like a fun challenge
    DJ, Producer, Radio Presenter & Tutor
    Win8 64bit / TP2.6.8 / Ableton / Maschine
    S4 / X1 / F1 / Z1 / Maschine Mikro / Midi Fighter Twister / Akai Mini Mk2 / Boss FS-5U
    Twitter: @joegrime
    www.soundcloud.com/joegrime // www.mixcloud.com/joegrime

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Here is a little teaser for you guys

Tech Wizard

That is beautiful!!! How!?!?

Tech Wizard

How are you getting synced midi into Traktor?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Here is a little teaser for you guys
    what is this witchcraft?! i must know!

Tech Wizard

Bump

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

OK - Trick is to route output command back in to Traktor and use those signals to trigger some other things in software. to do that, we need a bit help from the program running in the background. (wish NI add this as a native connection some day, it's very cool technique which allows very unique control that any other software just don't offer)

Windows:

OS X: Use IAC midi driver.

Download and install one for your system and run to create a virtual midi port. then pick all the additional data which is sent from MIDI Out and then route it back in to MIDI Out and trigger any input command that is mapped to the same Note.Midi Fighter is kinda awesome for this because you can use three banks of virtual midi to trigger some complex automation in the first bank. If your controller doesn't offer any sort of shift pages (ie X1, F1) then you would need to secrifice some knobs on your controller because this mapping concept require free knobs like any other mapping.

Now run the Traktor and go add new generic device - make sure this is the only device in the menu to eleminate any possibility to run into any conflicts with other mappings, later on you could experiment with adding new devices but for now you really want to keep safe as possible. (don't want to hear it doesn't work because I'm using it at my custom mapping service for while)

It's very important to set MIDI to "ALL PORTS"!! This is how Traktor keeps both mapping data in the loop.

If you now map a simple FX ON button and assign it's output command as you usually do you'll notice some strange behavior when you press the button - the Active State and LED State will go off in a millisecond. That's because the same Note ON massage sends information to activate effect but when this massage goes out to controller it comes back in to Traktor it almost instantly disengages the same FX.
    Here's the tip: Use first mapping device (In-Port "ALL PORTS" / Out-Port "Virtual MIDI") but keep all your LED Feedback in to the second mapping which IS properly assigned to the controller (In-Port is NONE / Out-Port is your controller). This way your mapping allows both traditional and advanced mapping techniques combined in to one.

Now just map the Beat Phase and let that output trigger one toggle type modifier while deck is playing. that's the base of this FX engine.

I'm sure you guys figure this out! Please be free to leave all feedback in this thread so anybody can learn more on this topic right from the Forum. I'll share some .tsi's as well to help speed things up!

LLC
    Last edited by Stewe; 08-11-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Tech Wizard

Okay sweet!! Im going to try it out! Ill let you know how it works. Thanks a bunch man!

Tech Wizard

Ooo that's great!! it all works great! i didn't use a controller, i just picked a note to use i think it was Channel 1 CC and then 000 i think and it seems to work great. The only problem im finding is for making the side chain. I have the gain cutting back a substantial amount on every beat, but it is dependent on the variables 0 and 1. where 0 is at full signal and 1 is being cut back, but it sounds very abrupt. i would like it to change between 4 variables every beat. so 0 could be full power, 1 could be as far down as i would want, and then 2 would me some of the way back up, and 3 would be pretty close to full power and then start back over at 0. What do you think about that?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast