Quneo as Remix Decks Sequencer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quneo as Remix Decks Sequencer?

Hey guys, I've looked for info everywhere and can't find anything.
    I'm looking to buy a Quneo mostly for producing in Ableton/Bitwig, but came up with the idea of using it as a step sequencer for Traktor's Remix Decks as the Midi Fighter Twister, maybe mapping the filters and fx send to the "faders"... Anyway. Any idea on possibilities?

Tech Wizard

I am not sure it is possible to map a step sequencer straight from Traktor, I think the twister handles all of the stepping within itself and just triggers remix slots. Another option now 2.7 is released is to map the slicer to the Quneo, which would be pretty sweet. If I can get my hands on one I will have a go at mapping it.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Twister handles it via firmware so you'll need a special firmware for QuNeo or an intermediary app handling the timing.

Tech Wizard

There must be some intermediate software that can be used to the same effect. If not it needs to be created!

I know you can do it with maschine (with the midi out module on the pads), but it's a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Just about anything that will work as a step sequencer for the remix decks will probably be a more-powerful step sequencer when it's also handling audio...except the Twister, which was made for that purpose.

The Twister is an interesting thing. I keep almost buying one....but for me it boils down to the fact that remix decks only have 4 voices.

The setup with Maschine (for example) is not much more complicated. It uses the same MIDI Clock, just a bit more routing weirdness if you want traktor's effects on Maschine's output. And Maschine has 16 voices per group.

Granted, the Twister is cheaper than Maschine (or Push or anything else that will do this), but ... it's also a lot less full-featured. The biggest benefit I see with it is that volume and filter controls are right there instead of having to page through things on the controller....which is big.

Tech Wizard

The only way of getting around it and making the twister have many more voices would be to have more than one sample per column playable in the remix decks, any step sequencers are going to be fundamentally limited to four sounds at any one time unless they can load the samples to an on board sound card type thing, which essentially bypasses the remix decks anyway.

Julianpetric, maybe check out the M-Audio trigger finger pro? That may have all that you need.

Yes....that's one. I didn't realize it had its own step sequencer. It's more expensive than the twister but can probably do more, or at least different, things.

Also....I just noticed that the OP wants to map effects sends. AFAIK, that's S8 only at this point. I didn't see the option to map that to another controller in 2.7, but I might have just missed it (if that's the case, I need to re-map my F1, 'cuz that seems more useful than the filters).

Thank you guys for all the replies.
    I understood what you mean, but the thing is that I live in Argentina. If you're not informed about this sh*tty country (no offence guys, I wouldn't be interested if I was elsewhere), you may need to know that, from the start, ANYTHING here costs twice what costs in USA.
    Also, the availability of different products is VERY limited. I couldn't believe when I found a QuNeo in MercadoLibre (our version of eBay).
    I had a look at the Trigger Finger, but it's just a matter of maths: (in USA) 1 Trigger Finger = 2 QuNeo. Here the difference doubles. So it's impossible for my budget to buy one.
    Not to mention that the Twister (which I'd absolutely love to have) is not even available.
    As you can see, we, DJs here have a very difficult life.
    Advice on possibilities of editing QuNeo's firmware would be useful!
    Cheers. (And I envy you all with your regular prices. )

Tech Mentor

I bought the Quneo before I bought my Push and was really disappointed. Great idea for a controller but configuring it was a pain and it seemed needlessly glitchy.

I recommend getting something else.

If you are interested in step sequencing a remix deck like twister, Arturia beatstep has internal step sequencer. Can't guarantee it will work but from what i gather, it would be easy to configure for remix decks. And it's cheap.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

Tech Mentor

Of course if you have max/msp you can make a step sequencer out of any controller. If you have the patience.
    Last edited by mrdorianjames; 11-13-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast