djing strip club
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default djing strip club

anyone ever dj in strip clubs hows the money ? and what do u have todo exactly i got a oppourtunity

The money isn't great - in the expensive SF Bay Area, it's about $20/hour, so expect less in places where the cost of living is lower. Depending on the club, dancers may or may not tip the DJ. There are usually 100+ people who'd happily take the job for less, so it's hard to have any leverage with the pay. Typically, a DJ will bring his own laptop and perhaps an external hard drive with music, but dancers will still carry around CDs for him to play - the club usually has a mixer and CD players, and jacks for the laptop to hook up. Obviously this varies from club to club.

Typically, the dancers select the songs for their set (and there is a definite hierarchy about which dancer "owns" which song - strip clubs are full of drama), and the DJ plays them. Management may also set a time limit per song, so you switch after 3 minutes or something, no matter how long the song actually is. In between "acts", the DJ can play songs of his own choosing (within reason).

There is also a LOT of announcing - introducing the dancers, encouraging lap-dances and other "premium" experiences, promoting drink specials, up-coming feature dancers and other events, etc. The MCing part of the job is just as important as the DJing, and you need to be able to do that fairly well.

I cannot stress that the success or failure of a strip club DJ is going to be how well he can keep both management and the dancers happy (and they often want different/opposing things), and how quickly he learns the hierarchy and makes sure that the "important" dancers get exclusive "rights" to their songs, with the new and/or less-popular dancers getting the leftovers. Management wants to keep those top-earners happy, within reason, and if you piss them off, you won't work there long. The DJ is there to keep things moving along and to help facilitate SALES (drinks, lap dances, champagne room, etc.).

In most strip clubs, expect to be playing mid-and up-tempo R&B, rap, and rock. Almost no EDM/Techno/dance club music.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

^^^ Christ I think of easier ways to see boobies and earn money playing music than having to put up with all that crap.
    Sounds like a nightmare - despite the boobies.

Well, yeah. I suppose it's attractive because of the girls (but most strippers are crazy, have horrific domestic situations, and drug problems, so you really don't want to mess with them), it's steady work, and you can literally wear sweat pants and a T-shirt to work and not shave for weeks at a time and no one cares. As such, it attracts the laziest of the local guys. And, yeah, you still get paid to play music, but man, it would get old very quickly.

One club I was doing (audio upgrade) work for would play Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls" every half-hour or so to call all the dancers up on stage and encourage people to buy lap dances. I almost went nuts having to hear that song 14 times in 7 hours, and that was only one day - if I had to do that 5 days a week, I'm sure i'd go postal within a month. That was years ago, and if that club still exists, I'd bet they're still playing Girls Girls Girls 50 times a day even today. Just kill me now.
    Last edited by DJTroyT; 09-29-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by DJTroyT View Post
    One club I was doing (audio upgrade) work for would play Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls" every half-hour or so to call all the dancers up on stage and encourage people to buy lap dances. I almost went nuts having to hear that song 14 times in 7 hours, and that was only one day - if I had to do that 5 days a week, I'm sure i'd go postal within a month. That was years ago, and if that club still exists, I'd be they're still playing Girls Girls Girls 50 times a day even today. Just kill me now.
    Sounds like retail at Christmas time.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by DJTroyT View Post
    Well, yeah. I suppose it's attractive because of the girls (but most strippers are crazy, have horrific domestic situations, and drug problems, so you really don't want to mess with them), it's steady work, and you can literally wear sweat pants and a T-shirt to work and not shave for weeks at a time and no one cares. As such, it attracts the laziest of the local guys. And, yeah, you still get paid to play music, but man, it would get old very quickly.

One club I was doing (audio upgrade) work for would play Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls" every half-hour or so to call all the dancers up on stage and encourage people to buy lap dances. I almost went nuts having to hear that song 14 times in 7 hours, and that was only one day - if I had to do that 5 days a week, I'm sure i'd go postal within a month. That was years ago, and if that club still exists, I'd be they're still playing Girls Girls Girls 50 times a day even today. Just kill me now.
    I'd pay not to have to do that.

Tech Mentor

This topic makes me very glad that the stip club I sent my info to never replied. Dodged a bullet there.

Tech Mentor

Sounds like getting a job at a pop radio station run by lunatics .
    All great points... Stay away unless you really REALLY need the extra cash. The non call back is a blessing.

LOL... sorry to ruin the fantasy, but the reality is just a whole lot different than most people assume.

Tech Mentor

It's better to ruin a fantasy on a forum than on the actual location I guess.
    Thanks for sharing the experience. Even though I don't have the ambition it's interesting to read.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast